The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF License question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If I have an iMac and a MacBook, do I need 2 licenses or does the license allow for this kind of use?

You probably only need one, but here's the relevant text from our licensing page:

"Our products are usually licensed for a given number of computers or users, whichever is lower. For instance, one person with both a laptop and a desktop computer (or, say, a home machine and an office machine) can legally install and use a single license on both computers, though not at the same time. Similarly, a home computer shared by three family members needs only a single license of the software."

Quote:
can legally install and use a single license on both computers, though not at the same time
can't be installed at the same time, or can't be used at the same time?

can't be used at the same time. installed is fine.

Ah, well that makes sense. Last night I was on the MacBook and tried to run OmniWeb and it told me it was unlicensed. I screen-shared to the iMac and quit OmniWeb (which was running but not being used) and suddenly it worked fine on the MacBook.

How do family pack licenses work? I can't find any details about them anywhere on Omni's web site. Is it a single license that allows 5 concurrent uses? Is it 5 separate licenses? 3?

Is there some way I can install one of the uses as personal (to make sure I can always use OF) and have the remaining be network?

I believe that it is one license which allows up to 5 people to be using it at a given time.

No, I don't believe there is any way to "lock" one license to one computer, they are all "floating".

Aha...when you try to add it to your cart you get some more useful information:
Quote:
Family Pack licenses permit you to install and use the software on up to 5 computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household (portables which are used primarily in this household are included) and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons sharing the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium. This license does not extend to students who reside at a separate on-campus location or to business or commercial users.

If you are a business or organization interested in volume licensing, please contact sales@omnigroup.com.

(Checkbox) I understand and accept that this license is for domestic household use only, not for businesses or organizations, or for other commercial use.
I'm confused about this commercial use restriction. The whole point of OF is to organize my life, work included. So am I not allowed to use a family pack license for work? That would be a real problem. Or is this just intended to keep people from calling their office a "household"?

p.s.: Omni's family license appears to be modeled after Apple's family pack license (e.g. for iLife):
Quote:
The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By “household” we mean a person or persons sharing the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium. This license does not extend to students who reside at a separate on-campus location or to business or commercial users.
But I noticed something different in Leopard's family pack license:
Quote:
The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.
Might Omni follow suit and include on-campus household members? (Not that this applies to me...I'm just curious.)

Family Pack licenses may be purchased by a family whose members use the software both at home and at work. The commercial use restriction is to prevent a company from buying a family pack to get 5 seats for their employees to use at work. (We do typically offer separate bulk discounts to companies; contact sales@omnigroup.com for a quote.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Family Pack licenses may be purchased by a family whose members use the software both at home and at work. The commercial use restriction is to prevent a company from buying a family pack to get 5 seats for their employees to use at work.
Great! That's what I figured it meant, but I wanted to be sure.