The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner for the iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Sorry there hasn't been any news on this. We do greatly appreciate everyone's interest in this app. We have been strongly considering developing OmniOutliner for the iPhone and we may very well do so in the future. However, right now we are making OmniOutliner 4 our priority.
Please do! I am totally in love with OmniOutliner and have wished for an iPhone app many, many times.

Quote:
1) Do you need multiple columns of data, column types, or the column summary options?
2) Do you need formatting support? Or just plain text like OmniFocus for the iPhone.
I'm including these together because I don't need them (although they'd both be nice to have if possible), but there are some stipulations to that. Plain text, no-column documents would be fine, as long as:
  • the iPhone can read those outlines with rich text and columns, even if it can't edit them
  • the iPhone can create a copy of a rich-text, columned OmniOutliner file with no formatting and only information from the first column, and then edit the copy
  • and most importantly, when I'm creating and editing files on my Mac, I need to always know for sure whether the file I'm looking at is iPhone editable. I point to Evernote as counterexample - I am never sure when I'm creating a rich-text-free and thus iPhone-editable note until it's on my iPhone. It sucks. It's a huge pain.

Given those requirements, I'd be happy to buy an OmniOutliner iPhone app that has no columns and no rich text support.

Quote:
3) Do you need attachment support?
No.

Quote:
4) Should it be a viewer only, or have editing capabilities? If just a viewer only, how well does the Quick Look preview/DHTML export meet your needs? (Viewing the export on the iPhone that is)
Edit support is very important to me.

Quote:
5) What kind of syncing expectations do you have? This would be one big reason why OmniOutliner 4 needs to be developed first as OO3 is not designed for merging synced changes.
My preferred sync method would be like OmniFocus:
  • Documents are stored on the cloud, but the app can use custom servers, not just iDisk default OmniGroup servers.
  • I don't want to have to manually upload and download specific documents from the server - I want all of them (or all in a subdirectory) to sync as soon as I open the app on my iPhone. Also, I want them to be cached so that I can use them in airplane mode.

Edit: forgot to mention, I myself do not need advanced conflict resolution within the outline. For me, it would be enough to see that there was a conflict with MyOutline.oo3, and have it create new files MyOutline.iPhone.oo3 and MyOutline.MacBookPro.oo3, or similar. I don't need it to try to open both versions of the outline and see if it can merge my changes. Not that that wouldn't be nice.

Quote:
If you have any other specific expectations for the app, please let us know too. Thanks for your feedback and support!
Not really an "expectation", but including OmniGraffle/OmniGraphSketch read-only support would be pretty rad.

I hope that you will not make an app like ReaddleDocs or AirSharingPro or ezShare, where nothing is synced automatically. It's great that those apps can read so many different file formats, but thought-free replication of all of my OmniOutliner files (or a subset of them, like all in a certain directory or on a webdav share, etc) would be infinitely better.

Last edited by mrled; 2009-08-12 at 11:01 PM..

I have been using OmniOutliner since 2004, having migrated from Windows and EccoPro. My thoughts on the questions:
# 1: Yes, I would need multiple columns of data and all the column types. But the no of columns could be limited to 3. No need of summary options.
# 2: No need of formatting support, but being able to "bolden" the text would be fine though.
# 3: No need of attachment support
# 4: Editing capabilities would be a must
# 5: Must be syncable with my desktop, preferably via idisk, like Omnifocus.

Keep up the good work on applications!

Hi

Good to see that an iPhone OO app is in the pipeline (probably). Will have to stick with exporting to, and importing form, CarbonFin for now (not ideal as web addresses get messed up in the process).

Here's my thoughts:

1) One column is fine for my purposes.

2) I don't need formatting support (Plain text all the way for me ... well ... I guess bold, italic and underlining is useful).

3) Attachment support: yes, please (and why not: the iPhone natively supports viewing the most likely attachments).

4) It should definitely have editing capabilities. I often do my research in the most unlikely of places, and often when I don't have my laptop. Really this is the whole point: I want to be able to add to, and edit, my outlines on the go without the need for my laptop.

5) Two way syncing is essential. I need to be able to import changes into the desktop version and vice versa. Syncing via MobileMe (al la OmniFocus) works brilliantly, and I'd like to see a similar syncing arrangement).

Hope that helps. Best wishes, Moo

Any way to use a script to automate exporting Outliner content to Carbonfin? Just wondering. I don't know enough about Apple Script to know if this makes sense.

I really, really want an iphone version.

Jerry

What do you need to do to export an outline to Carbonfin? I know that it reads OPML files, which OO will produce. Perhaps if you describe the details of getting an outline to Carbonfin we can help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What do you need to do to export an outline to Carbonfin? I know that it reads OPML files, which OO will produce. Perhaps if you describe the details of getting an outline to Carbonfin we can help...
I've been doing this too. It's just an html upload from your computer to Carbonfin and back.

j.

1) Do you need multiple columns of data, column types, or the column summary options?

Multiple columns and column types are needed, but lack of summaries would not be a deal breaker.

2) Do you need formatting support? Or just plain text like OmniFocus for the iPhone.

Would it be possible for an outline to be viewed as plain text on the phone but styled on the Mac? That is, I only want to have to keep one version of a an outline that could go back and forth from phone to Mac and back. On the iPhone, I would miss styling, but could likely deal with the lack of it, but I have to have it on the Mac.

3) Do you need attachment support?

No

4) Should it be a viewer only, or have editing capabilities? If just a viewer only, how well does the Quick Look preview/DHTML export meet your needs? (Viewing the export on the iPhone that is)

Viewer-only is less than ideal, but will gladly accept it if that is all that can be managed. I really want editing on the phone though. OmniFocus on the iPhone is not an acceptable substitute for me. I don't use Outliner in the Focus method; keep lists in my own way. Having those lists in my pocket on the phone is my wish, especially if I can work with my lists on the phone.

5) What kind of syncing expectations do you have? This would be one big reason why OmniOutliner 4 needs to be developed first as OO3 is not designed for merging synced changes.

Syncing through direct attachment, ala iTunes and music, is all that I ask, but syncing through a MobileMe cloud would be keen.

Thank you for asking for feedback,
jkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb View Post
Syncing through direct attachment, ala iTunes and music, is all that I ask, but syncing through a MobileMe cloud would be keen.
Apple currently doesn't give developers access to the USB connection, so you won't get the direct attachment sync unless Apple changes its mind.

I want a way to process outlines on my iPod touch. I've been using CarbonFin Outliner quite extensively and it has a number of things I like. Apart from direct integration with OO, the main thing missing is OO's seamless "inline" editing. CFO is actually not as inconvenient as other outlining solutions in that it's relatively efficient at going from item to outline. But what I'd like is much closer to the text editor or word processor model in which it's possible to edit items within the whole outline, instead of having to go through a kind of dialog box. Here, the TaskPaper model is very interesting. I wish all outliners were like this (with convenient tools for moving outlines around).
Another important thing CFO lacks is copy-paste for multiple items. I wish I could not only duplicate an item with all its children but I even wish I could copy-paste content between CFO and other apps the way I keep doing so between OO and other apps.

But the main thing is that I want OO touch ASAP. So much so that I've been thinking about moving to OmniFocus. OF doesn't seem ideal, for me. But it's here now and it does sync with something in the App Store.

Oh lord please make something available for iPhone/Pod. Minimal everything, but sync is a must.