The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Sub-context Question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I've just started using subcontexts for things like errands. For example, I have:

-Errands
---Grocery Store
---Hardware Store
---Library
---etc....

Some actions can only be completed in one place, but others can be completed in several. For these actions, I apply the overall "Errands" context. Now what I would like is to see these actions in all the sub-contexts so that wherever I am I'll see them. Is there some way to do this? Are you doing something else? Thanks

I set my 'errand' context location to 'Always Here' and when I select the errand context on the iPhone I get 2 areas in the display. The top area lists all the sub-contexts, and number of available actions while the bottom area lists all the actions tagged with the 'errand' context. This works well for me as I can quickly scan the generic errands to see if they can be completed at any of the sub-context areas. That seems more useful to me than seeing generic errands that are completely unrelated to a sub-context, for example 'buy milk' appearing in the 'library' context list. I'm much better at filtering in additional information than I am at filtering out extraneous information.

I've thought about that, and that's probably the best option now, but I'd like to use locations for other places as well. If errands are always shown, I'll always have to scroll through them to see actions for things that really are near me.

If I'm understanding what you'd like to do, I think the approach I posted about in this thread will do what you want...

That help at all?

Thanks! I think that's pretty much what I'm looking for. The only problem is that I usually choose the context where I am (like grocery store), in which case I wouldn't see the tasks available in the main Errands context. What I would like is to see the actions in the Errands context in each of the sub-contexts as well. Does that make sense? Is that something other people would use?