The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clipping into OmniFocus from Outlook 2011 [See post #34] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Are there any plans for OF to work with email from Outlook 2011?

I do love my Mac, and so pleased to have ditched the PC, but for there not being a good alternative to Outlook!

PRH

A bit off topic answer following, but I really doubt Outlook will be scriptable for OF, although I could be wrong. Anyway:

I thought the same as you did when switching to Mac, but today I only use native programs; Mail, Address Book, iCal. To compensate for a few of Mail's shortcomings in mail handling, I use Mail Tags and Mail Act-on. I have been connected to an MS Exchange server for nearly two years, and there is no doubt that Mail has had far fewer issues than Outlook users at work had during that time. I never regretted switching in other words.

For consolidating data: If you need to link info and see it in one place, there is Bento as a cheap, very ok solution. As for professional, large databases there is nothing matching Filemaker whereas a free form alternative is Devonthink (which I use myself). The latter works great with OF too, by the way.

I understand your adoption of Mail etc but a 'one stop' shop for mail, cal and contacts is far more attractive particularly when I understand that Outlook 2011 comes with VBA which allows great possibilities. The downside is OF is soooooooo good!!

Depending on your needs Mail, iCal and Adressbook are equally good (and scriptable via AppleScript as well). If you need a more CRM-like solution, see Arilds post above for some initial pointers.

If you need a tighter integration it might help if you could clarify about the specific things you want to accomplish with OF and Outlook/Entourage.

Outlook 2011 is shaping up to be a good product.

I think it will be easy to script Outlook as it will support applescript (along with vba)

Biggest problem so far is that Outlook 2011 does not even allow you to save an email. Older OF scripts used this functionality to get a proper link to Outlook. I have no idea why you can not do something basic like save an email to the filesystem, but you can't.

I would love a script or functionality where I can bring an email or email+attachment into OF like we use to be able to do with scripts on Entourage.

Actually I may have spoken too soon, the actual shipping release seems to work with the older OF scripts. It gets the attachment even though Outlook can't save. I don't know enough about AppleScript to know how this is working, but the Outlook emails are in XMLish type language that is confusing, it would be great if OmniFocus could display the emails like they do in Outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRHawkes View Post
I understand your adoption of Mail etc but a 'one stop' shop for mail, cal and contacts is far more attractive particularly when I understand that Outlook 2011 comes with VBA which allows great possibilities
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarun101 View Post
I think it will be easy to script Outlook as it will support applescript (along with vba)
It looks as if VBA may not, in the end, have made it into Outlook 2011.

I would be very happy to be able to "use some script" to attach email to omnifocus, any ideas on what direction we need to go to get this working?

The comments above about "mail , ical, and address book being the answer are not completely true. I have been a long user of the built in mail and absolutely hated entourage, but Outlook 2011 is really a good solid product and is only missing the ability to add a task into omnifocus based on an email or selection of an email, with some sort of link back in the omni-focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
It looks as if VBA may not, in the end, have made it into Outlook 2011.
Not this time either...? Incredible. I suppose Microsoft thinks that will make Mac users convert to Windows at least for work. My reaction is, however, that I will probably never even consider Office 2011... I have Office 2008, but the continuous database daemon's clogging of the system makes me avoid using it unless I have to for collaborative reasons.

PeterRHawkes has a point: Mac has hardly any obvious, ready-made productivity suite alternative - baked into a single UI - but I must say I prefer to live with my Mail/iCal/Address Book/Omnifocus/Devonthink-combination (with additional tools such as Omnioutliner and Novamind). After the miserable performance of Office 2008 on my system, it takes more than Outlook 2011 to convince me.