The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Subtasks within Subtasks within Subtasks etc Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
is it possible to have this set up?

1. Task
-- Subtask
----------SubSubtask
--------------- - Sub Sub Subtask
-------------------------Sub Sub SUb Subtask
-- Subtask
--------- -SUbSUbtask
-- Subtask

2. Task
-- Subtask
-----------SubSUbtask

etcetc

is this possible peoples? (can u have unlimited subtasks within subtasks?)

Last edited by noworriez1; 2011-09-10 at 04:44 PM..

I don't believe there's a well-defined limit, aside from the amount of memory you have and what will fit on the screen. I made a more deeply-nested version of your example, seen here on the iPad:

The iPod/iPhone app doesn't have a display like this; you only see one level at a time, and keep drilling down. Either way, you can probably nest deeply enough for any reasonable application.

but would it require that you finish those subtasks before completing the primary task?

also, are you just putting spaces to create the look of subtasks or is it actually a feature?

As you can see, only the most indented task in that picture is in black, the rest are in grey, signifying that they are not yet available. You could mark off one of the parents as complete, which would have the effect of completing all of its children.

The indentation is done by OmniFocus, not by putting spaces in front. If you looked at that project in the context view, all of the names would be aligned at the left, as seen here:

In context view, projects and action groups follow their contained task, with the containing item becoming available after all of the contained items are completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noworriez1 View Post
but would it require that you finish those subtasks before completing the primary task?

also, are you just putting spaces to create the look of subtasks or is it actually a feature?
You can complete the tasks in any order, but by completing the parent task you automatically complete all the children.

OF is a proper outline tool with a tree hierarchy of tasks, no pretending with spaces.

omgosh brilliant!

i just wish i could afford the $20 for the ipod version :(

alwell .. one can dream

Is the iphone version full outlining? I know you can;t see the full outline, but I'm not sure how to create sub-sub-sub actions?
Cheers

Yes, you can build up an arbitrarily complex outline in the iPhone version as well, you just can't see it all at once.

To create a subtask, first create a task at the same level as the parent. Then tap the Edit button, tap the task to be made into a subtask, and tap the refile button at the bottom right (looks like a file folder with an arrow pointing down). Now you have the options of Convert to Project, Move Up to: (parent project), or Move inside another item, followed by a list of items inside which you might move it. Tap on your desired parent and that's it!