The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus background sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
Does anyone know how to add locations other than current for the omnifocus bacgound sync. There doesn't seem to be any options other than to add the current location. I would have thought that you could add context locations at least.

Bug? Oversight?

Had the same question which I posed to Omni via email. When I get a response I will try to post here. My guess is that you need to be at the location....which seems a little Fred Flintstone.

Steve

Agreed Steve. The screen on background sync states location(s) plural, which made me think that this was a bug and wasn't giving us the choice of our context locations.
Maybe you have to enter the locations one at a time from that location and then more than one will show up? Let me know and I will update my end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
My guess is that you need to be at the location...
Yes, according to David Sparks, that is so, see OmniFocus Background Sync? Yes, Thank You.

The statements here in the forum's sticky and OF help are not exactly clear on that point.

Great feature, thank you, OmniGroup!

I went into Contexts, then hit Edit, then tapped the context I wanted to add a location to. This lets you do a number of things. (obviously don't hit the "-" sign to delete it; just tap the context name).

I see the geo-fence icon (or whatever it's called), but I don't really know if it's working. This morning I'll add a task at home and see if it's there when I arrive at work. I'm assuming the app will auto-sync when I get to that location...

I was wondering if the icon would update with the number of tasks due, but so far I'm not seeing anything like that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I would have thought that you could add context locations at least.

Bug? Oversight?
The interface for background syncing was intentionally kept as simple as possible, since we consider this whole business of defining sync locations to be a temporary workaround: iOS 7 will let apps sync in the background without having to use geofences.

The intent isn't that you should set up a geofence around every location you visit, but just one or two places that you're at regularly (e.g. home, school, work). Unfortunately, due to device limitations, the more geofences you define the less reliable geofencing becomes.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2013-07-16 at 06:24 AM..

Great feature, however I would like to have the opportunity to do the following:

1. Renaming it to a name I prefer, not an address, which in my case are completely wrong, and do not refer to any place I know.
2. Removing it, in case I do not want to have background sync to work anymore. In my experience using the geo system drains the battery.

Small changes, big effect.

Thanks for a great program.

/Skipper

You can remove a sync location by using the standard delete gesture of swiping across it to the left. If you delete the last location, OmniFocus will no longer try to sync in the background.

Being able to rename a location would be useful—but, again, this entire approach of defining sync locations won't be necessary in iOS 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
The interface for background syncing was intentionally kept as simple as possible, since we consider this whole business of defining sync locations to be a temporary workaround: iOS 7 will let apps sync in the background without having to use geofences.
Hi Ken,

Can I request that this is left in post IOS 7 for a couple of reasons

1) Some people will not be able to upgrade to IOS 7
2) I have 2 iphones (Work and Personal) I tend to use one phone most of the time, but then when I use the other, it takes ages to sync, and I would guess keeps the database on the OS Server pretty big. If I don't open OF on the second phone very often, IOS 7 will not keep it up to date. At least with Geofencing, it will be up to date whenever I return homw.