The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Automatic Start Dates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In OF is it possible to have a set of actions for a project and based on when the final action is due have OF figure out the start dates. Such as, I have three sequential actions to complete a project on date A and based on date A, have OF work backward to tell me when to start the first action.

Thanks.

Chris

No, not really. Even if you have supplied estimates of how long each task should take, OmniFocus doesn't know how many hours you work in a day and which days you work. OmniPlan can do the calculation, but you need to supply that information to it.

Now, if you know the relative timings of when everything has to happen, you can use OmniFocus to estimate the appropriate start date. Build up your project with a start date of today, including a start date of today on the first action, putting in start/due dates for the actions up to the finish, with a due date on the finish. Remember, these dates you are putting in are strictly based on the time to complete the tasks, not your external deadline. Then load Dan Byler's Defer script and use it to shift the actions in the project backwards and forward until the due date lines up with your target due date, always being sure to tell it to adjust both start and due dates (the default). However, this approach won't take into account an irregular work schedule or even the presence of weekends, either.

Another approach that you could use if you've put duration estimates in for everything and your project is strictly sequential would be to use the script posted in this thread to sum up the durations, and then count backwards on the calendar the appropriate number of days. You could adjust for weekends and so on while you were at it.

Thanks for the info whpalmer4. I will have to research what you suggested. I am new to OF and still trying to get my arms around it. As I dig deeper into the program the more I am impressed (and sometimes overwhelmed ) by the feature set.

I did figure out a solution that works for me; I used Excel and OmniOutliner.

I made a spreadsheet in Excel with one column being my actions and another column for the start dates (or due dates, whatever you are needing). I then had Excel subtract the number of days from the due date of my final action for each of the actions before it. I then copied the two columns (actions and start dates) into OmniOutliner. I then imported the OmniOutliner file into OminFocus and put the actions under the correct project and I am done.

This is assuming that the actions need to be started anytime during the day and not a specific time, although that could be changed once the action is in OmniFocus.

If anyone would like a screenshot of my spreadsheet, reply to this and I will post it.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by csucher View Post
I did figure out a solution that works for me; I used Excel and OmniOutliner.

If anyone would like a screenshot of my spreadsheet, reply to this and I will post it.
I would love to see a screen shot of this as well as how you pasted it into OmniOutliner.

Also what is the process time in doing this?