The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner 4 is now available! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm33 View Post
Does OmniOutliner 4 improve cut and paste?

Many times I using OmniOutliner to create notes, yet cutting and pasting creates a big mess with attempts at checkboxes, indention etc. Would be really helpful to have options to remove all that.
OmniOutliner has options to remove all those things in its Text and RTF Export preferences. (These options are pretty much the same in OmniOutliner 4 as in OmniOutliner 3, but there are options for turning off bullets, checkboxes, spacing, etc. in both versions.)

Quote:
Is there a trial version of OmniOutliner 4 available?
Certainly! All our apps have a free two-week trial which you can download using the "Download Pro/Standard" link from the app's main product page. (It's the same binary that you download when purchasing the app, it just runs in trial mode until you enter a license code.)

Will there be updated Automator actions available for OO4? The Automator actions that shipped with OmniOutliner Pro 3.10.6 are broken with OO4 (Pro.)

Could you please let us know which Automator actions you're specifically needing, or what process you'd like to automate? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Could you please let us know which Automator actions you're specifically needing, or what process you'd like to automate? Thanks!
The ones I need for my Automator script to work are "Get Open Outlines" (GetOpenDocuments.action) and "Export Outlines" (ExportDocuments.action.) I was able to hack "Get Open Outlines" to work by changing references of "OmniOutlinerPro3" to "OmniOutliner4" and "OmniOutliner Professional" to "OmniOutliner" in the action's Info.plist, but when doing the same thing to the Info.plist of "Export Outlines" (ExportDocuments.action), I get the error in Automator of ""Can't get «class OOwt»." Note that hacking the actions this way makes me nervous.

It would be better for me if you guys released OO4 (Pro)-compliant Automator actions of all of the ones still relevant from OO3, but if that's not going to happen, please give us some tips about how we can hack the OO3 ones safely. Please let me know if this should be a new topic.

Derek, can you provide any advice or help here?

Do you have OmniOutliner 4 Pro? All the OO3 actions used AppleScript. Your best bet would be to use the Run AppleScript action to replicate what you need. Assuming you even need to use Automator versus running the script through other means. There have been scripts to do exporting recently posted such as this one. If you need help writing a script for your specific purposes, then starting a new thread would be best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Do you have OmniOutliner 4 Pro? All the OO3 actions used AppleScript. Your best bet would be to use the Run AppleScript action to replicate what you need. Assuming you even need to use Automator versus running the script through other means. There have been scripts to do exporting recently posted such as this one. If you need help writing a script for your specific purposes, then starting a new thread would be best.
Thanks, Derek. I do own OmniOutliner Pro 4. I can go the AppleScript route, but that's inconvenient, since I was hoping to plunk an updated action into my workflow and be on my way. It sounds like Omni is dropping Automator support for OO4P. If that's true, please put that in the product info and release notes, with pointers to the AS equivalents of the Automator actions, if they exist. I might not have upgraded from OOP3 if I'd known it would break my Automator workflows.