The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A passel of 5.9/6.0 feature requests Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A few ideas that have come up while using OW of late:

* Squirrelfish Extreme (yeah yeah, everyone's saying it, add me to the list)

* Give me a large rollover image of my tabs as I scrub through them. The visual tabs are nice, but at a certain quantity they become fairly indistinct.

* I (heart) Google Chrome's start page with your most frequently used pages. Steal that, okay?

* Re-work the tabs panel as a split view (a la iTunes/OmniFocus) or something like that.

* A "recently closed tabs" history item to re-open them

* Better cookie security management than Safari: Only allow sites to read OR set cookies for their own site. As it is, a site can only set cookies for its own domain, but then any domain can read them. Bad news!

* Scriptable or one-click "enable javascript" or other potentially malicious interfaces on sites to permit more secure browsing most of the time.

* Full-screen view (kiosk view). Surprisingly nice for browsing, actually.

Just some ideas. Take 'em, leave 'em, whatever. :)

Last edited by iNik; 2008-09-28 at 06:55 PM..

Nice list. I agree with all of those. Let me add to that:

Key items (stuff that drives me nuts now):

* Auto-close tab drawer (or whatever it becomes) if only 1 tab

* "Site" Prefs based on URL prefix in addition to domain (e.g. mysite.com/mail is different from mysite.com or mysite.com/photos)

* When choosing an image for filtering, show the URL in a dialog before adding it to list, so I can add wild-cards etc.

* Better management of ad-blocking rule list (like sorting the list? hello?)

* As iNik says, "Recently Closed Tabs"

* Site preference "disable plug-ins"

"Nice to Have" - These would greatly improve the user experience:

* "show blockable items" context menu for a given page (like Adblock Plus)

* Content hiding or user style sheet management (yes, can be done with site prefs, but could be easier a la Element Hiding Helper

I'll add:

Make the location bar a little more "awesome", if you will.

Eg, about 20 times a day (once if my boss asks anyone) I do: cmd-l, sla and I have to down-arrow through pages of whatever slashdot.org urls are in history, to get to http://slashdot.org/. I have *never* *once* typed in, 'cmd-l it.slashdot.org/blah/blah/blah'. It would be 'awesome' if OW knew, "homeboy only looks at the home page, and doesn't care about every url we've visited in the past".

"* Give me a large rollover image of my tabs as I scrub through them. The visual tabs are nice, but at a certain quantity they become fairly indistinct."

yeeeee boyyyyyyy.

• For the Expanded Zoom Editor:

Is there a keyboard command to call it up? Anyway, it would be amazing to include the html formatting buttons like the ones in this forum.

• New Tab UI:

Drop the drawer and make it Leopard style. Have it behave behave like the Dock(or at least as an option). i.e. The ability to hide, magnify and position it on the left, bottom or right side.

• "Make the location bar a little more "awesome", if you will."

• "show blockable items" context menu for a given page (like Adblock Plus)

Last edited by OmniGuy; 2008-09-29 at 05:34 PM..

Although I want all the nice thing the good people above have suggested – I'm a modest person, ;) so I have only one "must have": Syncing.

Please (on my knees). Please.

Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNik View Post
* I (heart) Google Chrome's start page with your most frequently used pages. Steal that, okay?
Fwiw, Chrome 'stole' that concept from Opera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurobashing View Post
,,, It would be 'awesome' if OW knew, "homeboy only looks at the home page, and doesn't care about every url we've visited in the past".
The way I'd like this to happen is IF I put the homepage in my Booksmarks it would be at the top of the list; my bookmarks first then my history in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNik View Post

I use Workspaces to open the actual pages I want to start with, not just small facsimiles thereof. One for News, one for Weather, one for Work, one for Banking, and one for Investing; I don't have to then pick one window image and click and then go back when I'm finished with that page. These are all a function key away and IMHO a very productive approach.

Maybe Omni, or a script writer, could fashion a way for OW to open with your N most visited pages preloading into tabs/windows—a dynamic Workspace.

Key stuff for me:

* A built-in click-to-play FlashBlock. I don't want to block all Flash irreversibly, and I don't want to mess about with regexs. But I don't want Flash to play straight away by default. Same for other plugin objects.

* Tell me which tabs are using all my CPU time (e.g. due to JavaScript) and slowing everything else down. I don't need the full Google Chrome multi-process/multi-thread approach (although that would rock), I just need to know why my browser's using so much CPU so that I can do something about it.

Thanks! :)

(I'll post my top bugfix requests in the other forum...)

Mouse gestures. Please. One thing I miss from Opera and FF.