The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

make project available only when another is complete? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there any way that I can put a project on hold until another one is complete? Can the completion of one project dynamically un-pause other projects?

Nope. It's manual.

Too bad, but thanks for the unambiguous answer.

i'm with you, though. that would be a very powerful feature.

Yes, it seems awesome, and probably inevitable in a future version. Meanwhile, somehow I will have to rely on my brain to know that I must complete project "earn money" before I can initiate project "spend money"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcloits View Post
I must complete project "earn money" before I can initiate project "spend money"!
Considering today's economic mindset and climate, this is very un-American. ;-) Of course you may be from a different country, and I apologize if that is the case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
Considering today's economic mindset and climate, this is very un-American. ;-) Of course you may be from a different country, and I apologize if that is the case!
:-)

I'm Canadian ... which really is pretty much like being American, except that we get to criticize America without being put on a Homeland Security watch list. I hope. Plus it's chillier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcloits View Post
Yes, it seems awesome, and probably inevitable in a future version. Meanwhile, somehow I will have to rely on my brain to know that I must complete project "earn money" before I can initiate project "spend money"!
Isn't the workaround to create a project called Money that is sequential and have two parents within the project called Earn and Spend (with their respective children)? Assuming this works the way I think it should, as you place the Spend parent after the Earn parent, you can only start on your Spend actions once you have fully completed Earn due to the sequential nature of the Money project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Isn't the workaround to create a project called Money that is sequential ...
You’re absolutely right ... as long as the projects are conceptually related. But sometimes the completion of one project is a rather fundamental accomplishment which fulfills a pre-requisite for a bunch of conceptually diverse projects — projects that rightly belong elsewhere in your .ofocus.

For instance, suppose you live on the moon, and you have a project “fix leak in dome.” Every other project you have is on hold in the the leak is fixed — but none of them have anything else to do with leak-fixing.

That was the problem I ran into: no, not a leak in my moon dome, but diverse projects sharing a common project-completion pre-quisite.