The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync tasks with due-dates to iCal-calendar? [See "Replacing Calendar Sync" thread.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Any chance we'll see related changes in 1.0?

Tim

Glad to see I'm not the only one looking for the creation of iCal events from OF. If there is a due date specified in OF, then that should automatically show up on iCal as an event at the time specified. Have OF specify how a to do is handled in iCal; have options about how you want OF to tell iCal what to do, ie - any task with a due date is listed as a) all day event, or b) time specified - all users the option to publish start dates and/or estimated time to complete - in short, build this to allow the user to customize the iCal sync features, if you only want the "to dos" listed as "to dos" in iCal, great, if you want to have OF create specific events, no problem. I suppose, however, as a start, just creating an option of entering due dates as all-day events would be acceptable, but one thing that's clear to me is that enhanced calendar options are needed - doesn't that seem to make more sense with the "Getting Things Done" method? Granted, I've only listen to the audiobook once.

While I can totally understand why this might be desirable (all time-sensitive information can be viewed in one place), I'd find it quite distracting. There's a key difference between a task and an appointment, and I put appointments on my calendar and tasks in OF.

What I WOULD like to see is a view in iCal that shows an agenda including upcoming/due tasks alongside events. Entourage can do this, and I believe there's some Dashboard widgets that will do the same. I figure that'd be the best of both worlds, although it's out of Omni's hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNik View Post
While I can totally understand why this might be desirable (all time-sensitive information can be viewed in one place), I'd find it quite distracting.
Again, use multiple calendars.

Quote:
There's a key difference between a task and an appointment, and I put appointments on my calendar and tasks in OF.
Could you describe that difference to me?

Quote:
What I WOULD like to see is a view in iCal that shows an agenda including upcoming/due tasks alongside events. Entourage can do this, and I believe there's some Dashboard widgets that will do the same. I figure that'd be the best of both worlds, although it's out of Omni's hands.
I think that's too complicated. Just sync tasks with a due date to a separate calendar and make that an option.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaufmann View Post
There's a key difference between a task and an appointment, and I put appointments on my calendar and tasks in OF.
Could you describe that difference to me?
Tasks are to-do items that need to be done now or starting on a particular date, and possibly need to be completed by a due date. I don't want to be reminded on the due date - it's too late by then. Tasks are items that are not scheduled at a particular date at at certain time, like an appointment, but are things we need to do starting "now" - and if we can't finish them today, they roll over to tomorrow, etc. The book, GTD, discusses appointments vs. tasks. OF aims to be a GTD app, not an appointment book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
The book, GTD, discusses appointments vs. tasks. OF aims to be a GTD app, not an appointment book.
Better go back and read the book you're talking about. ;-)

On p. 39 it says:

Quote:
Three things go on your calendar:
• time-specific actions;
• day-specific actions; and
• day-specific information.
OF is the app I plan my projects in and which helps me track my tasks. Maybe iCals integration with numerous other apps makes it attractive for syncing its task lists with tasks from OF, even if that seems redundant to me. But a calendar is definitely worth nothing if time- or day-specific actions don't show up there.

Tim

Quote:
Better go back and read the book you're talking about. ;-)

On p. 39 it says:

Tim
Yup, you're right. I tend to separate such calendar reminders from the actions I add to the "next action" lists, and I use OF for the latter.

I would object to the idea of putting actions with a due date into the calendar, since I have many actions that have a due date but are not meant to be entirely done or even done on that date. Especially if I have a start date included. I don't want to have to scan a few days ahead each day to spot things that are due two, three, or four days from now - that I could get started or even done now.

However, a simple solution would be to have a check box next to the due date entry box that designates an action as a reminder and synched to the calendar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
I tend to separate such calendar reminders from the actions I add to the "next action" lists, and I use OF for the latter.
So you add your next actions to OF and reminders about some/all of them in the calendar? I think that's not in line with your signature, neither with GTD ;-)

Quote:
I would object to the idea of putting actions with a due date into the calendar, since I have many actions that have a due date but are not meant to be entirely done or even done on that date.
Again: only actions which must be done on a certain day belong into the calendar. Everything else belongs into the next action list where you choose your next action based on context, available time, energy etc.

Quote:
However, a simple solution would be to have a check box next to the due date entry box that designates an action as a reminder and synched to the calendar.
No please. Keep OF as simple as possible. Sync tasks with due dates to the calendar where they belong. If no time, but only a date is set, make them all day events. Let the user choose which calendar he wants the tasks go in. And - if it's really needed by many - have an option to sync all tasks to the task-list.

Tim

Quote:
Again: only actions which must be done on a certain day belong into the calendar. Everything else belongs into the next action list where you choose your next action based on context, available time, energy etc....

Sync tasks with due dates to the calendar where they belong. If no time, but only a date is set, make them all day events. Let the user choose which calendar he wants the tasks go in. And - if it's really needed by many - have an option to sync all tasks to the task-list.
I agree with you that "only actions which must be done on a certain day belong [in] the calendar." But an action with a due date does not have to be done on that day. It could be done three days earlier, or two months earlier. What would you do with an action whose start date was 1 January 2008 and whose due date was 15 April 2008--create an iCal event that stretched over three and a half months?

I think David Allen's advice is sound: if you can ONLY do something on a particular date, it does not belong on your task list at all; it belongs on your calendar. But that's not the same as an action that must be done by a particular date but can be done at an earlier date.

The basic issue here is whether a due date is time- or day-specific. You think that it is; those of us who disagree think that it is not, because it is only a terminus ad quem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
What would you do with an action whose start date was 1 January 2008 and whose due date was 15 April 2008--create an iCal event that stretched over three and a half months?
Have a reminder at the starting day.

Tim