The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF 1.1 Database Location Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I kept my OF database in /Users/Shared so my "home" account and "work" account could use the app. I don't want the accounts shared because I have several different settings between the two: Dock, Mail, name, etc...

Now I _have_ to keep the database in Application Support? Is that an Alpha thing, or is that the new requirement?

The database which OmniFocus reads from is always kept in the application support folder now. If you'd like to have it available to multiple accounts, use the "Disk" sync option and sync it to your shared location.

That almost works - one small problem.... on the "other" account, OF1.1 also enforces that the database be located in Applications Support for that user, so I can't point to the /Users/Shared location.

No worky.

Right, you don't need to move your database to synchronize; just go to Sync Preferences (in both copies) and tell them to sync with a Disk location of /Users/Shared (or wherever). Does that make more sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Does that make more sense?
I thought it did, until I saw this:

"Your database couldn't be synchronize, because the databse on "the server" appears to be totally unrelated to the "local" database. Which database would you like to use:

The ambiguously named "server copy" or the ambiguously name "Local" copy."

Please don't take offense to my use of ambiguously, I'm actually trying to be funny. :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
The ambiguously named "server copy" or the ambiguously name "Local" copy."

Please don't take offense to my use of ambiguously, I'm actually trying to be funny. :]
None taken: would it help if we said "on this device" instead of "local"? (We need something that covers both a phone and a desktop app.)

I don't have a good alternate for 'server', but suggestions welcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
None taken: would it help if we said "on this device" instead of "local"? (We need something that covers both a phone and a desktop app.)

I don't have a good alternate for 'server', but suggestions welcomed.
I guess my point of confusion is that I was trying to do disk sync. I didn't know if the Application Support OF file was the "server" or the "local".

OMG VICTORY! I got my webDAV on my machine setup! Synced all items. I did have to restore my OF database on my mac from a backup before everything came together.

Thank god.

On the plus side, I can give myself credit for my weekly continuing education activity of "30 min tech reading" and "30 min working on tools"! Who knew! :]

I had my DB in an encrypted dmg for security reasons. Any ideas to substitute for that?

Would FileVault work?

Curt