The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Complete Parent" contextual menu item Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sent as feedback:

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really wish that there were a "Complete Parent" item in the contextual menu for actions so that I wouldn't continually have to return to planning mode to complete an action group/project when I get to the last action of the group or project. While it's nice to be able to go back to planning mode if I need to do more planning for a project, it's a real PITA to switch back to planning mode just to complete the group or project. This is especially true for projects that repeat every couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Sent as feedback:

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really wish that there were a "Complete Parent" item in the contextual menu for actions so that I wouldn't continually have to return to planning mode to complete an action group/project when I get to the last action of the group or project. While it's nice to be able to go back to planning mode if I need to do more planning for a project, it's a real PITA to switch back to planning mode just to complete the group or project. This is especially true for projects that repeat every couple of days.
How do you know out of context mode that this completed action belongs to an action group and that this is the last action to be completed in that action group without switching? So, does an context menu item like this really make sense?

I know it because I made the action and it's a dummy action that essentially says "Don't forget to go into Planning mode and complete the parent so that this group of actions will repeat properly". I have a number of these that come at the end of different action groups that repeat every two or three days.

So yes, it certainly makes sense to me!

Rather than something as specific as a "Complete Parent" menu item, how about a simpler menu item that would open the project a given task is a part of in a new window? I often find myself completing a task and then wanting to see what''s the NA or wanting to add a task to specify the NA. It would be very convenient, rather than have to go into Planning mode, scroll down to the project and open it there, to just right-click, select "Open Enclosing Project" and have the project focussed in a new window.

That sounds a lot like the existing "Switch" button that you can put in the toolbar. It finds the currently selected action in planning mode when you're in context mode, and vice versa.

It might be nice if it would open in a new window if you held down the Shift or Option key when clicking the button. Maybe I'll send in a request.

Maybe my suggestion would make more sense to people if I pointed out that I want it as a workaround for the nonexistent option to have action groups auto-complete when the last action in them is completed. I've given up on ever seeing that (maybe I'm wrong), and this is the next-best thing I've thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Maybe my suggestion would make more sense to people if I pointed out that I want it as a workaround for the nonexistent option to have action groups auto-complete when the last action in them is completed. I've given up on ever seeing that (maybe I'm wrong), and this is the next-best thing I've thought of.
Oh, the auto-complete feature is on its way. It was originally scheduled for 1.1, but it's a lower priority than the synchronization work we're doing so it might end up in 1.2 instead.

Woohoo!

(10 characters)