The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Window > Close Tab Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think what Handycam is arguing is that a window with only one tab (regardless of whether the tab bar is showing) is not simply a "window". That is, a window is a container for tabs, and after closing all the tabs in a window one should be left with an empty container—the window (presumably the empty window/tab that appears when opening a new one if one has them set to open "empty").

I don't really care either way; it just seems like a little semantic issue; the user would most certainly be able understand quickly what functions the menu items perform.

It's more than semantics. With "tabbed" browser windows, there's a "window", which is the thing with the title bar. Within this window, it's possible to open SUB-windows, which are called tabs -- since in other browsers, they look like tabs across the top of the window.

Now, in the OW window menus there are 2 commands: close tab and close window. What I'm saying is that "close tab" should close each sub-window (aka "tab") until there are no more sub-windows. A command called "close tab" should not close windows -- that's what "close window" is for.

I suppose I should have explicitly asked this: do you expect OW to close the "last" tab, leaving an empty window, or do you see that tab as becoming a "window"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afb
I suppose I should have explicitly asked this: do you expect OW to close the "last" tab, leaving an empty window, or do you see that tab as becoming a "window"?
The latter seems to be the behavior in other browsers, and it makes sense to me. It would be odd to suddenly get an empty window without asking for a "new" one.

Usually, you want to close additional tabs to focus your attention on one tab (i.e. "close other tabs") and then continue your browsing from there.

This is not that critical, mind you. I'm just seeking a way to close tabs with a key-command or gesture that will not close the "last tab" aka "the window".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
The latter seems to be the behavior in other browsers, and it makes sense to me. It would be odd to suddenly get an empty window without asking for a "new" one.
That doesn't make sense to me. Currently, there is always a tab open. And since you're not requesting that a blank window be left up, it seems weird to me. If command+w closes each tab, except the last one... it doesn't seem intuitive or user friendly to me.

Quote:
This is not that critical, mind you. I'm just seeking a way to close tabs with a key-command or gesture that will not close the "last tab" aka "the window".
This is what I was afraid of :( I like the fact command+w can currently be used to close a tab, and if it's the last tab, closes the window with it. This is the same as Firefox & Safari. In fact, they do both function the exact same was as OW as far as keyboard shortcuts are concerned.

My bad. I agree with Forrest that the command-w should close everything, a la Safari and FF.

I would like ONE THING fixed, and one thing only: Gray out the "close tab" menu command when there are no more opened tabs.

This is also the way Safari and FF work, and solves the problem with Cocoa Gestures. If it's implemented just like Safari, I'd be very happy :-)

To clarify:
Firefox
- With two or more tabs, FF shows Close Window (command+shift+w) and Close Tab (command+w)
- With one tab, FF shows just Close (command+w)*

Safari
- With two or more tabs, Safari shows Close Window (command+shift+w) and Close Tab (command+w)
- With one tab, Safari shows Close Window (command+w)** Close Tab is grayed out.

I agree that it's slightly strange OW Close Tab option works the same as Close Window when only one tab is open. However, I think both the FF and Safari alternatives are a bit odd as well.

*For FF, it just says "Close." This could be confusing as some apps have used "Close" to mean "Quit." In other words, it would quit the entire app. Just "Close" seems a bit vague.

**For Safari, I don't like how the keyboard shortcut for one option suddenly changes based on the number of tabs that are open. That also does not seem like a clean way to do it.

From a keyboard perspective, all three ways work the same so I'm happy with all three ways. I realize there are other factors here that don't apply to how I use the browsers in question. Maybe there's another solution that would be the best of all worlds. That said, I haven't cared in the past what the options were named, so I just hope that the keyboard shortcuts remain the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
From a keyboard perspective, all three ways work the same so I'm happy with all three ways. I realize there are other factors here that don't apply to how I use the browsers in question. Maybe there's another solution that would be the best of all worlds. That said, I haven't cared in the past what the options were named, so I just hope that the keyboard shortcuts remain the same.
Exactly. That's what I meant by calling it a semantic issue. I rarely use the menubar, so as long as the keyboard shortcuts work as they do, I'm happy too.

Agreed. My only issue was that whatever the menu option that closes a tab is greyed out when there is one tab. So that a Cocoa Gesture mapped to that command won't close the last tab.

I mean, I can live with the way it is, I was just looking to maybe make it better.