The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bento Integration Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
I have just built a contact management and leads database in Bento. I used to manage contacts and leads in OF but found maintaining the history was too cumbersome.

Ideally, I would like to find a way of getting the actions out of the Bento database which currently appear as iCal todos into Omnifocus. Strangely, I can't get the OF iCal sync to pick up the Ical todos which originated in Bento. Any suggestions? I don't sync anything else between OF and iCal.

More generally, does anyone have any insights/suggestions as to the best way to get action items out of Bento and into OF on the Mac? I suspect that using iCal todos isn't going to be an optimal solution.

many thanks,

L.O.

Last edited by LPO; 2010-04-29 at 06:32 AM..

This is a fascinating concept. Did you make any progress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunicki View Post
This is a fascinating concept. Did you make any progress?
I tried to get OF and Bento syncing tasks via iCal, but it didn't work very well - as described in other threads, so at the moment, I use Bento to create iCal tasks which I don't sync with OF. Ordering them by due date in iCal gives me a good enough view of what is coming up.

In my weekly review, for selected Bento tasks that I want to manage in OF (for whatever reason), I transfer them manually into an OF project.

Not totally satisfactory but it works for me.

As per the thread regarding Evernote integration, I think there would be real value if OF could be enhanced through integration with selected apps from other suppliers.

L.O.

I've done something similar in Filemaker Pro. I have seen filemaker scripts that use applescript to "tell" iCal how the event or task should be created. The syntax in them seems pretty straight forward. The scripts can be triggered by buttons or menus in FMP. I would think a person could "tell" Omni instead but I haven't had a chance to play with it too much and see what is accessible inside of Omni to do that. I also don't know Applescript super well so I've seen a few other people that have scripted Omni to do templates etc I presume that's via the same method and it's just a matter of getting the info from FMP (or Bento) instead of inside of omni to it.

Nice point!

Not wanting to make this a Bento thread but, has anyone noticed issues when syncin Bento Touch with Bento desk? I have lost lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPO View Post
I tried to get OF and Bento syncing tasks via iCal, but it didn't work very well - as described in other threads, so at the moment, I use Bento to create iCal tasks which I don't sync with OF. Ordering them by due date in iCal gives me a good enough view of what is coming up.

In my weekly review, for selected Bento tasks that I want to manage in OF (for whatever reason), I transfer them manually into an OF project.

Not totally satisfactory but it works for me.

As per the thread regarding Evernote integration, I think there would be real value if OF could be enhanced through integration with selected apps from other suppliers.

L.O.
So I am playing with this concept as well - using Bento as a general repository of ALL project (or task) related information - appointments, e-mails, files and tasks. I have not found an easy one step way to move tasks from Bento to OF, but I found a two step process, so hopefully this will be helpful.

1. I created a Bento calendar in iCal
2. Created a Bento Context in OF
3. In OF preferences I set the Bento Context to sync with the Bento iCal calendar
4. My Bento Projects Form has a related data field consisting of iCal tasks
5. Whenever I create a new task in Bento, I associate it with the Bento Calendar

This setup has the Bento generated task appear in OF under the Bento context. The additional step is then for me to give it the right Project and Context. So two steps rather than o ne, but I cannot see a better way (if anyone knows of one, please post :-) ).

The problem would most probably be addressed if I could sync OF projects with iCal calendars, but I don't know if this is feasible.

Regards,

Daniel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okingdon View Post
I've done something similar in Filemaker Pro. I have seen filemaker scripts that use applescript to "tell" iCal how the event or task should be created. The syntax in them seems pretty straight forward. The scripts can be triggered by buttons or menus in FMP. I would think a person could "tell" Omni instead but I haven't had a chance to play with it too much and see what is accessible inside of Omni to do that. I also don't know Applescript super well so I've seen a few other people that have scripted Omni to do templates etc I presume that's via the same method and it's just a matter of getting the info from FMP (or Bento) instead of inside of omni to it.
This wold be most probably possible to accomplish in FMP (I just got an eval copy and am playing with it, along with Bento). FMP, like OF, has an AppleScript library, so with some AppleScripting effort this could be done. If I decide that Bento does not quite do the trick for me, I will give it a shot.

Daniel.

Has anyone figured out how to get Bento generated ical events into OF?

What do they look like? What do you want them to look like in OmniFocus? Are they in their own calendar? Is this a one-way street (changes made in OF do not go back into iCal/Bento)?