The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Expand notes by default? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way of setting the notes for each task, if available, to be expanded by default? I often forget notes are there, and so miss being reminded of some of the information for that task. I know there is a toggle for expanding notes, but OF does not seem to be able to remember this from session to session (which should be the case for a true toggle).

There's Edit->Toggle All Notes, and the results seem to stick for me. I used it to turn on display of all notes, quit and relaunched OF, opened a new window in a different perspective, and the notes were displayed. What is your test case for it failing to retain the notes display?

Well, I just opened OF to find all the notes collapsed, even though I am regularly setting them to expand. So, on some level the toggle is not holding.

This happened again just now, so maybe there is a bug with this. I never, ever want to hide the notes. Is it possible to make this happen, even via a plist hack?

I realize that one of OF's strengths is being able to hide things that are not currently relevant, but its a bit of a double-edged sword, as its possible to hide things and never find them again, or find them after its too late.

I think I got it to stick with perspectives, but I agree that a global default would be nice... Time to email the ninjas?

This continues to be an issue. Having to manually toggle this for every perspective is insane. I just had to do it again now.

In general, notes need a re-think for OmniFocus. They seem to be an afterthought, often hidden from view and by default in a smaller font than the other task attributes. For some, the notes field is the guts of the task!

Maybe you should approach the problem differently if notes are the prime importance. Keep your notes in OmniOutliner, with links back to OmniFocus (select a row, Edit->Copy as Link, paste into another app). You easily can mix and match rows with links to OF actions and those without.

Two requests from me:

- A setting to have notes expanded by default
- Note-expansion state of each project or task should be persistent across all views, and across app launches (notes should NEVER be collapsed unless I did so manually)

At a glance, it might seem like these two requests are at odds. If I want expansion state remembered, wouldn't "expand notes by default" conflict with the ones I've collapsed manually? The answer is no; I'm only asking for the *default note-expansion state* of a project or task to be "expanded".

Seems like this would be pretty trivial to implement. If each project or task is an entry in a .plist, simply have a key/value pair for note-expansion state. For new projects/tasks, do not include this key/value pair (or the value can be null). When the value is missing or null, fall back on the setting for whether notes should be expanded or collapsed by default. As soon as the user manually toggles the expansion state, it has a value (true or false), and no longer falls back on the overall setting.

We've got a feature request open on adding the ability to specify that the notes should be open. Attaching your post to that request, Stormchild. Thanks!

Whoops, failed to mention that we had one open on the 'make note visibility persistent across perspectives/views' idea. Attached you to that one as well. Thanks!