The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync failure for Office-iPhone-Home scenario Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How about this - is there any way to force my home version of OF to accept whatever the current version of the database is on iDisk, so that this madness can stop?

Right now, I'm sure it has 'sync'd back to iDisk and screwed everything up, but maybe tomorrow I can force it to accept the changes I've made???

I'd be happy to deal with that as a workaround. Possible?

OK, my first advice is that if you're worried about potential data loss, make a backup before you do something that might risk that data. That way if something happens, you can always restore from your backup. (In General Preferences, you can tell OmniFocus to back up twice a day, and to also back up when quitting.)

I'd love to figure out what went wrong so we can prevent it from happening in the future, but first let's just get you back into a good state. Connect to your iDisk, and move all of the OmniFocus-related stuff from the Document folder into an archive folder that we can examine later.

Moving that stuff out of your iDisk documents folder means that your synchronization should be back in a pristine, original state. Synchronize from your desktop to make sure that works. Maybe synchronize one more time to make sure it still works. If you look at your iDisk at this point, you should have a single OmniFocus.ofocus folder inside your Documents folder, you shouldn't have any "copy-in-progress" files lying around.

Now go to your laptop, and sync there. It may prompt for you to replace your local copy with the server copy; if so, say yes. Sync again, to make sure that's solid. Go back to your desktop and sync there.

Everything still working? Try changing something, and sync on both sides to see if the other side sees the change.

Now try adding your iPhone to the mix. Try changing something and see if it changes everywhere following a sync. If any of these steps fail, please let me know which one and how it failed.

Thanks!

the disaster continues. more to come.

brief version - laptop OF is reporting a sync but is overwriting mostly, and not in fact incorporating modifications and updates made on the iPhone. happily i'm backing up manually on iDisk before even starting the program. but this is a complete disaster - I'm in position to lose days of work if I'm not careful.

chidmf:
If you're copying the file manually to the same place on your iDisk that OmniFocus is syncing to, you could actually be *causing* some of the conflicts. If you want an extra backup of your OmniFocus database on your iDisk, put it in some separate place, such as Documents/Backup instead of the same folder that OmniFocus is syncing to.

This exact issue started happening to me this morning.

[Reported to Ninjas]

I believe my iPod and work versions were attempting to sync at the same time, but I've deleted my copy-in-progress .ofocus files and re-synced the work computer to no avail. I've turned off iPod syncing for now and will see what happens with the laptop when I get home.

{Subscribing to this thread}

Update: Laptop sync failed, too.

Last edited by bmonzing; 2008-07-22 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Update

[This was just e-mailed in, before anybody reminds me about that]

I think I may have an idea as to why some of us keep running into multiple client ID numbers and exploding DB sizes: intermittent connections to our iDisks.

I know for a fact that the crappy DSL my work site has can cause no end of trouble with intermittent availability of the server. What if OF is frequently losing its WebDAV connection in the middle of a sync? Wouldn't that trigger some of these glitches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
chidmf:
If you're copying the file manually to the same place on your iDisk that OmniFocus is syncing to, you could actually be *causing* some of the conflicts. If you want an extra backup of your OmniFocus database on your iDisk, put it in some separate place, such as Documents/Backup instead of the same folder that OmniFocus is syncing to.
I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet14 View Post
[This was just e-mailed in, before anybody reminds me about that]

I think I may have an idea as to why some of us keep running into multiple client ID numbers and exploding DB sizes: intermittent connections to our iDisks.

I know for a fact that the crappy DSL my work site has can cause no end of trouble with intermittent availability of the server. What if OF is frequently losing its WebDAV connection in the middle of a sync? Wouldn't that trigger some of these glitches?
This is an interesting idea. I'll try to keep track of this too.

Nope. Disaster after disaster. Happily I recovered from a backup of the changes made on my iPhone (i.e. from a duplicate on my iDisk), but something is still up. OF on my laptop is "syncing" and is updating the iDisk file, but it's not actually 'syncing' to incorporate the changes (particularly, changes to the dates of existing tasks). Since I hadn't planned to be a test bed for debugging this $$ software, I haven't set things up so that it's easy for me to figure out what's going on (i.e. I had planned to be a user, and have a huge project/task list).
Oh well.

I'm having an almost identical issue. I'm running on two MacBook Pros (MacBooks Pro?) and an iPhone.

For instance, I checked off some stuff over the weekend on my phone and when I got to work this morning, they were still unchecked even after a sync. Then I check off some stuff at work, fire up the home computer, sync, and the stuff I checked off at work is still showing as "overdue."

Plus, I get the "OmniFocus needs to re-open your local database" message with almost every sync.

It is very frustrating to say the least that I can't reliably look at my task list without first (a) making sure stuff I added somewhere else is showing up, and (b) verifying that no tasks that I completed are still in the list.

Hoping it gets better from here!