The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Redefining the "Inbox" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I'd have to try this idea for awhile. My initial reaction is that it might force processing that I did not want to do yet. For example, I may have an idea for a new project and quickly enter a half dozen steps to be completed. Then I might decide to start the project in a week. With my current workflow, I would set a start date for a week hence. I would also set a review date for the same date. The review date would prompt me to assign contexts to the actions during my morning review. In this case, I've consciously made a decision to defer processing of these items. I wouldn't want them in my inbox.

Two changes to how actions with a project but no context are handled would satisfy my needs:
  • Actions entered in QuickEntry with a project but no context should go to the Inbox by default. (Making the current direct-to-projects behavior an option.)
  • The Context View should include a "None" context. When "None" is selected in the sidebar, or no sidebar selection is made, then actions without a context would appear in the main context view. This would let users create an Unprocessed Actions perspective, mimicking the functionality Rob is proposing adding to the Inbox.

The "None" context is a nice analogue for the default top-level Singletons bucket that some have proposed as a sibling of the Projects folder.

Curt