The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

leveling priorities Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I have a question regarding the leveling priorities.
In the Omniplan manual I found :

In judging which task to put first, the following criteria matter, in this order:
Requirements to end by a certain time, such as locked end dates, con- straints, or being a prerequisite to a task with such a requirement.

Task Priority, as set in the Priority column of the task outline.

Position in the task outline; tasks with lower ID numbers are scheduled earlier.

I really cannot see the use of the third priority, the ID number.
I got a reply from the Omniplan people that some users wanted to see a waterfall scheduling and that was the reason the ID number priority was implemented.

However this stands in the way of an optimized scheduling. In screenshot 1, one can see the scheduling after leveling and after task BC has been moved from ID number 1 to ID number 16, the scheduling is ok like this.
When one schedules again however, now because task BC has ID-number 16 you get a warning, the scheduling is not ok anymore. (screenshot 2)
This is easy to solve when you only have 16 tasks but if it were 80 it is harder to find out what went wrong. I can understand that one can gives a higher priority to a task in the priority field but would like to ask to cancel the ID-number as far as the leveling priority is concerned,

Best regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 1.png
Views:	669
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	2032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2.png
Views:	669
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	2033  

Last edited by luke18; 2011-09-20 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Attachments not there

I've filed a request for this in our development database. Thanks!

I would at least make it optional. I, like many others, have several hundred tasks, i need leveling to work reliably without me shuffling around tasks in order.