The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Black screen? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
With the latest version of iPhone OmniFocus, has anyone experienced a black screen when saving a new task?

With previous versions, every now and again OF would freeze up with a greyed-out screen when I tried to save a task. This was always preceded by a certain behavior: After adding a task somewhere in my folder hierarchy, I would be dropped back to the OF home screen instead of the folder that I added the task to. When this happened, I knew that I'd better exit OF and then re-enter, or the next time I tried to save a task, OF would freeze up and I'd have to exit anyway (and re-enter the task).

With the latest version of OF, I haven't experienced the "frozen grey screen", but now it seems like any time I try to add a task, I get a black screen. Interestingly, OF doesn't seem to be frozen--it's still running. For example, the task bar at the bottom is still active and I can click the Inbox button, a new task form pops up, which I can populate and save. But after I save it, I'm left staring at the black screen again.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!

C
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cike View Post
With the latest version of iPhone OmniFocus, has anyone experienced a black screen when saving a new task?

With previous versions, every now and again OF would freeze up with a greyed-out screen when I tried to save a task. This was always preceded by a certain behavior: After adding a task somewhere in my folder hierarchy, I would be dropped back to the OF home screen instead of the folder that I added the task to. When this happened, I knew that I'd better exit OF and then re-enter, or the next time I tried to save a task, OF would freeze up and I'd have to exit anyway (and re-enter the task).

With the latest version of OF, I haven't experienced the "frozen grey screen", but now it seems like any time I try to add a task, I get a black screen. Interestingly, OF doesn't seem to be frozen--it's still running. For example, the task bar at the bottom is still active and I can click the Inbox button, a new task form pops up, which I can populate and save. But after I save it, I'm left staring at the black screen again.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!

C
Yes. I sent it to them and they seemed to be aware of it. But I'd say you should still send it in as well.
 
I just installed it and sync'ed with a relatively large database on my PowerBook (using Bonjour). I waited several seconds for the file to open on my iPhone 3G ang got a black screen eventually. I had to hard reset the iPhone. After this welcome, everything seems to run OK and I can access my just synced file on the iPhone, make new entries etc.
 
I seem to be experiencing the same thing described by Cike exactly. I was even able to take a screen shot of the black screen. I have found that the home screen button acknowledges that I have pressed it but does not refresh the screen (remains black). All other buttons on the toolbar seem to work. I usually just end up pressing the iPhone's home button and then going back into OmniFocus.

Bumming me out because it seems to happen more times than not. Hope a bug fix is on the way soon.

And Omni (if reading this) please direct any available energy toward using OmniFocus for iPhone (of just OmniFocus). I know you all are busy, but I'm having to scrape the web to find specific ways of using your great but deep and complex software. The more examples of how people can specifically use your software the better. So far the best examples of use for OF for iPhone I've found on others blogs. The demo videos for all apps seem to be outdated now that I think of it. Too busy making the software probably...it's still a shame though.

Thanks either way.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcheese View Post
Bumming me out because it seems to happen more times than not. Hope a bug fix is on the way soon.
I'm only bummed because I know Omni will fix it... then I have to wait weeks for Apple to approve it and move forward.
 
I just got this a couple of days ago, and it's happened twice since. Especially frustrating because Omni seems to be the only company honoring Apple's apparent wishes that apps be updated as infrequently as possible. I have a lot of apps that get updated every couple of weeks, and an RSS feed I subscribe to that lists daily updates is *very* busy.

I hope we can get a fix for this one soon, because anything that takes my attention off recording tasks can make me forget something.
 
I've had it a few times. It doesn't lock-out the phone and the way I've found to get around it is to hit the iPhone home button and switch back to OF.
 
same problem here. but since i was unable to reproduce the result, never sent in a bug report.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconino View Post
I've had it a few times. It doesn't lock-out the phone and the way I've found to get around it is to hit the iPhone home button and switch back to OF.
That's how I get around it too coconino. I usually get this problem when I add things into Omnifocus on the iphone.
 
We've tracked down this bug (it happens when OmniFocus receives a memory warning while you're adding an item, causing it to reclaim the memory used by the screen you return to after you finish). It will be fixed in the next update (which should be available soon).
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Screen capture (screen grab) weirdness with Cutout o4tuna OmniDazzle 6 2011-10-21 01:18 AM
Black screen in Version 1.7 on iPhone 4g dwroth OmniFocus for iPhone 2 2010-07-16 05:53 PM
Full screen with black backround pakiyabhai OmniOutliner 3 for Mac 1 2009-04-30 06:33 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.