The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Task Groups (and their Tasks) don't show up in Project view Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Can anyone tell me why Groups (or any of the tasks within them) do not show up on OF for iPhone in the project view?

If I look in context view all the tasks are there, but not in Project view.

These groups were all made on OF on my Mac (1.7.5)

I'm using OF iPhone 1.7 and OS4 but it was happening on the previous version of OF and OS3
 
Ok here's something I found - I have my Projects (and Contexts) setup to show "Available". If I change the Projects setting to show "Remaining" then the Action Groups finally show up - but they are in grey (why?). And when you go into the group the actions are all there - but they are in black (as expected)

Why would an Action Group show as "remaining" but not "available"? The one I'm looking at does not have a future start date or anything like that that would stop it being available. I don't want to use the "show Remaining" setting because then it won't hide actions with future start dates, or actions in sequential projects. But if I don't use it, I can't get to any "available" actions that are grouped.

The actions in the groups themselves are all available (shown in black), but it appears that the "non available" group heading is blocking access to them in Project view.

This is not how it works on the Mac, where Action Group headings (and their enclosed actions) show up with the "Available" setting on.

Can anyone confirm that this - On the iPhone (unlike on the Mac) Action Groups including all their available tasks are all hidden when the prefs are set to "Available", even if the group and all its actions are in fact available?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyroad View Post
Ok here's something I found - I have my Projects (and Contexts) setup to show "Available". If I change the Projects setting to show "Remaining" then the Action Groups finally show up - but they are in grey (why?). And when you go into the group the actions are all there - but they are in black (as expected)

Why would an Action Group show as "remaining" but not "available"? The one I'm looking at does not have a future start date or anything like that that would stop it being available. I don't want to use the "show Remaining" setting because then it won't hide actions with future start dates, or actions in sequential projects. But if I don't use it, I can't get to any "available" actions that are grouped.

The actions in the groups themselves are all available (shown in black), but it appears that the "non available" group heading is blocking access to them in Project view.

This is not how it works on the Mac, where Action Group headings (and their enclosed actions) show up with the "Available" setting on.

Can anyone confirm that this - On the iPhone (unlike on the Mac) Action Groups including all their available tasks are all hidden when the prefs are set to "Available", even if the group and all its actions are in fact available?
The group itself is only treated as actionable/available when all of the enclosed actions have been completed. This is true on both platforms. At the moment, yes, this means that from project view in the iPhone app, the contents of an action group (and the action group itself) are hidden from view if you are only showing Available actions. I think this is flawed behavior, even if consistent and predictable, and if there is an Available action inside the action group, the action group should be shown to allow the user to drill down to that action.

Send in a report with Send Feedback from the iPhone to boost the priority of this issue if you want it changed. I don't do much planning on the iPhone app, and run with Remaining for my Projects setting, Available for Contexts. Because I do my execution from Context mode and any planning in Project mode, the issue you raise doesn't come up. If you execute from Context mode, showing Remaining in Project mode is the natural choice, I think, and you can see everything that is coming up, whether or not it is currently available (or would be wrongly hidden with Available as the Projects setting).
 
Thanks for confirming that. I'll submit a request for reconsideration of the availability of groups - it isn't good that available actions are not accessible on OF iphone simply because they are in a group.
to
Yes, I don't operate from context mode that often - most of my contexts are available to me simultaneously in my office at work or close nearby (phone, computer, internet, reading material, fax, copier, scanner, shredder, chairs to meet with people etc), so I tend work on a Project focus and change my context dynamically as needed to complete the actions within a Project.

Actually some of my projects are almost contexts in themselves, which may be a flaw in my methodology, though it seems to be getting things done, which is what its all about in the end.

For example I have a project called "Out Trips" where I put all the things that I need to do while out in the car or at the shops - but they also all have the context called @errands. So all the one-off errands not linked to any larger project go in the "Out Trips" project (with the @errands context), but any errand that is part of another Project can stay in that project but will also have the @errands context.
 
Yes, this is driving me crazy as well. I don't always work from Context mode, and use action groups for things I want to do in a certain order. But in some circumstances I want to see them all at once, and this way of displaying things doesn't let me do that. It's my singe biggest frustration with OF on the iPhone.

I didn't see the point of complaining since that's obviously the way they want it, but if Im not the only one... I'll be sending feedback. :)
 
Yes send feedback.

The thing is that I have a project that says that 6 actions are available, but when I tap on it it only shows one, because five are being blocked because they are in a group - it doesn't seem intuitive to not be able to see "available" actions without setting your preferences to show "remaining" instead of "available".
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverobeson View Post
Yes, this is driving me crazy as well. I don't always work from Context mode, and use action groups for things I want to do in a certain order. But in some circumstances I want to see them all at once, and this way of displaying things doesn't let me do that. It's my singe biggest frustration with OF on the iPhone.
Why don't you want to view Projects showing Remaining instead of Available?
Quote:
I didn't see the point of complaining since that's obviously the way they want it, but if Im not the only one... I'll be sending feedback. :)
You should always send in feedback if something strikes you as less than perfect. If nothing else, you might get a response that explains why it is how it is, and makes a believer out of you! You might also be the one that causes them to take a step back and re-evaluate a previous decision, however well-reasoned. They are very interested in improving the software, and hearing our feedback is a big part of that.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Why don't you want to view Projects showing Remaining instead of Available?
I know this wasn't a question to me, but for me, I have quite a few actions that restart once per year, and many others once per month. I don't want to see them until their starting date comes up, otherwise they are just clutter on the screen.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Why don't you want to view Projects showing Remaining instead of Available?
I am showing Remaining in the Projects view. But here's the problem. I have a hierarchy set up, say:

Project X
Construction
Coding
Permits
Set up Y
Offices
Set up Z
Research
ABC
Testing
Demo
"Set up Y", "Set up Z" and "ABC" are all black (indicating available to do). Everything else is gray.

So looking at my project it appears that Construction (for instance) isn't ready to be worked on yet even though it very much is, as I have to set up Y & Z and do research into ABC.

And looking at these tasks in Context view can be confusing. What if I have TWO "Set up Y" tasks, but under different parents? And one is due today and the other a week from now? How do I know which one to work on today when the only visible differentiator in this view is the Project Name and they're both the same?

I could swear it didn't used to be this way... Or was it?
 
Am I really the only person bothered by this?
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hierarchical tasks don't appear in Due? [A: Enable "show groups in context mode"] alexp OmniFocus 1 for Mac 3 2012-02-10 10:03 AM
How to reorder action groups in Project view? rcharif OmniFocus 1 for Mac 5 2011-02-03 09:38 AM
How to view task due dates in Context View, when you've scheduled the whole project bak OmniFocus 1 for Mac 3 2009-11-10 08:14 AM
Top level items lost [A: Groups aren't actions, don't show in context view.] flyklr OmniFocus 1 for Mac 1 2009-10-06 05:09 PM
Single tasks as project groups & context vs project group eatmytag OmniFocus 1 for Mac 48 2007-08-17 11:07 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.