The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Setting task templates? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello!

I'm testing out OmniPlan now to see if it will be useful for managing our video production environment. I've got a project set up that is for our entire year's production schedule. Each video product is its own task, like "Documentary 1" with subtasks such as "Planning" and "Filming" beneath it. Is there a way to set a task as a template for all future tasks of this kind--so I wouldn't need to repeat adding resources to it, such as "Producer 1", "field camera" or "edit bay"--we've got over 50 of certain types of videos we produce, so it would save a lot of time and mistakes to be able to just create a new task of "type: Documentary" and have it add all the subtasks and resources with it. Or do I simply have to copy and paste from the original task?

Well, I realized if I selected all of a certain type of task like "Web Video" I could add resources to all of them at once--so that may be the answer. But if there is a way to make a task a template, please let me know--or if there's another way to go about it, let me know. And consider the ability to create a repetitive task type a feature request for the next version :) -I think it would be really useful for folks in any type of production environment, whether you're making videos or books or Acme Widgets.

You can create a new OmniPlan project, set the start date to "Undetermined" in the Project : Information inspector, then plan out your production tasks and resources as a generic template. When you're done, you can save this template by going to "File" > "Save as Template".

Now you'll be able to go to "File" > "New from Template" and select your pre-made template, complete with all the resources and tasks you've created. Just remember to set the project start date to something specific if you need to.

BWH
I am very new to OmniPlan and working on one Documentary(first feature), would you be able to share a template I could modify? Many thanks