The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Untrusted Root Server" error on Bonjour sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Came home today, went to sync, and got the following message:

"The server certificate for "https://[mycomputername].local:[a number]/OmniFocus.ofocus/" is signed by an untrusted root server. This site may not be trustworthy. Would you like to synchronize anyway?"

This is after a whole bunch of problems syncing this morning, even after completely erasing the iPhone OF database.

I sync using Bonjour over an Airport Extreme router wi-fi network.

Has anyone ever seen this error? I couldn't find any postings in the forum on it.

Versions:

Leopard 10.5.8
iPhone OS version 3.1.2
OmniFocus on my Mac: 1.7.5 (v77.41.6 r1210331)
OmniFocus on my iPhone: 1.5.3

Same problem here today, after upgrading to 1.6.1

I emailed support about this and received this repsonse:

Quote:
I'm terribly sorry for the confusion here. In 1.6.1, Apple asked us to make some changes in regards to handling server certificates. That warning is normal- feel free to select the "Trust always" option.

If you have any other questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to contact me. We really appreciate your support!

Sincerely,

Jameson Brown
Support Ninja
Omni Group

As a guy who does security for a living, and is having this same problem, that warning may be "normal" but it certainly isn't a good idea. Teaching customers to click "Trust always" without giving them any way to verify that the certificate is, actually, something they should trust is bad practice. Trusted root certificates is one way to do that, but at the very least, they should display a fingerprint on the server and client side that can be compared.

+1

This seems like a big deal, as it will display (and unnerve?) everyone who syncs OF iPhone to anything else. I think we could use more explanation and clarification from Omni as to why OF has to show this error message and no other iPhone-syncing apps do.

I think it only happens with the Bonjour sync, not the MobileMe (my guess for the most-used variety, based on no data whatsoever) sync. Agreed that it would be worrisome to encounter, and I don't understand what Apple wanted to accomplish here, but "everyone who syncs OF iPhone to anything else" is overstating things quite a bit.

Of course, who knows if anyone else is bothering to use encryption in their syncing methods? None of this trusted certificate stuff comes into play if not, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
"The server certificate for "https://[mycomputername].local:[a number]/OmniFocus.ofocus/" is signed by an untrusted root server. This site may not be trustworthy. Would you like to synchronize anyway?"
Woops! Sorry, that prompt is a bug: OmniFocus isn't supposed to display an "Untrusted Root Server" error when doing a Bonjour sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousstranger View Post
As a guy who does security for a living, and is having this same problem, that warning may be "normal" but it certainly isn't a good idea. Teaching customers to click "Trust always" without giving them any way to verify that the certificate is, actually, something they should trust is bad practice.
Absolutely agreed!

Sorry for the internal confusion on this, our support ninjas thought our OmniFocus engineers knew about this change in behavior and that we were accepting it as a limitation of the new security API—when really it's just a bug in our new code, not something imposed by the API at all. We'll fix it.

(Sorry also for the delay in noticing and responding to this! We've been working around the clock towards getting our first round of iPad apps ready.)

Good to hear, even if it took a few weeks ;)

Same thing happened to me. Only now I am unable to sync via Bonjour. It simple won't sync. No error message; nothing.

I deleted the app from my iPhone and reinstalled. I select "Set Up Sync", select my shared Bonjour selection from my Mac, it goes into "Preparing to Synchronize" for about a second or two, then back to the "Sync with Mac" page. Nothing I do seems to work.

Apple asked us to switch to their public API for approving untrusted certificates in 1.6.1. The warning you're seeing is a normal part of the API, and once you select "Trust always", shouldn't ask you to approve again (unless you turn off Bonjour sync, then turn it back on, since you're effectively generating a new self-signed certificate). Hope this clears things up!

Sefbro, it sounds like something else may be going on in your case; if you email omnifocus@omnigroup.com, or call us at 800.315.6664, we can help. Thanks!