The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

"Twin" Button? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does OF have an equivalent to kGTD's "twin" button? When pressed in kGTD, that button "pivots" (for lack of a better term) from viewing a selected action in context view to viewing the same action in project view (or vice-versa). That is, if I'm looking at the following

@Computer
-- Post question to OmniGroup forum re:Twin Button

and then I hit the twin button, I'll see the project(s) within which the action is nested

- Personal
-- Beta Software
--- Omnifocus
---- Post question to OmniGroup forum re:Twin Button

In kGTD, this allows me to go to a project and update next actions or create sub-projects, etc., as required when I'm finished with an action.

Thanks.

Ed

This is a good idea. I used this a lot in kGTD.

I gather that is what

View > Reveal Selected Tasks In Alternate View

is supposed to do (Opt-Cmd-R), but I think they're still working out the kinks.

Good pick up, Craig. That is exactly what that is for.

I'm also looking forward to this function. As it stands, it seems to work ok going from the project view to the context view, but does not work well in the other direction.

What about an option to 'reveal task in iCal' once Sync has happened.?

Yes, this is the function that I was looking for. It would be nice, however, if it was a customizable button that could be added to the toolbar. I've grown used to clicking the "Twin" button in KGTD.

You know - I was thinking about this just recently and was wondering if this would work: whichever view you are in, if you have a task highlighted and switch to the alternate view, that task would come up as selected and expanded in the new view (jeez -was that clear?). Basically switching from Context to Project would automatically be like hitting option-command-r.

This could be behavior selectable in prefs - allowing those that hate it to use the keystroke method instead. Seems simple enough that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast
You know - I was thinking about this just recently and was wondering if this would work: whichever view you are in, if you have a task highlighted and switch to the alternate view, that task would come up as selected and expanded in the new view (jeez -was that clear?). Basically switching from Context to Project would automatically be like hitting option-command-r.

This could be behavior selectable in prefs - allowing those that hate it to use the keystroke method instead. Seems simple enough that way.
Perhaps the preferred behavior could be set in preferences, and the alternate could be what happens when option-clicking on the Context or Project button...