The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Insert Files to OF tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone know how files can be attached to tasks? Is this feature available yet? What formats will be supported? How will such files be saved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliee
Does anyone know how files can be attached to tasks? Is this feature available yet? What formats will be supported? How will such files be saved?
There isn't support for file linking yet.

Attachment support in OmniOutliner might provide some clues to your other questions. In OmniOutliner you can drag in a file and have it embedded in the document. If instead you control-drag in a file, OO will create a link to it. All file types are supported there, but only some are viewable from within OO. The others open in the appropriate application.

Curt

Attachments are scheduled for 1.0, quoting http://www.omnigroup.com/application...ocus/download/:

Quote:
Coming soon:
[...]
Rich text in notes (including attachments and URLs)
[...]

Here's a workaround until the feature is added to OmniFocus:

Drag a file to the project or task you want to add it to. You'll get something like this:

/Users/myhomefolder/Desktop/myfile.txt

add file://localhost to the front of that

file://localhost/Users/myhomefolder/Desktop/myfile.txt

Right click on that link, and you'll get a "Make Link" option. Choose that. You'll now have a link to your file.

BTW, if any element in the file path has a space in it, you'll need to replace that space with %20.

Thanks for the responses - good news that rich text and embedded files will be supported at the task level. I would also like to see the same support applied at the folder and project level as there is often support information that is specific to a project but not any specific task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlyle

Drag a file to the project or task you want to add it to. You'll get something like this:

Right click on that link, and you'll get a "Make Link" option. Choose that. You'll now have a link to your file.

BTW, if any element in the file path has a space in it, you'll need to replace that space with %20.
But the link disappears next time you click on the task...

Being able to add links is a start but I want to be able to embed attachment files into OF. That is: I would like to be able to drag and drop PDFs etc onto folders/projects or tasks and for a copy of the document to be placed in an OF folder on my MAC .... Reasons:
1. Then I reduce the risk of deleting important documents whose association with OF I have forgotten :-)
2. I can copy the entire data base - OF plus attachments for use on another machine (and hopefully to sync between machines eventually)
3. This capability then closely matches the ideal of "everything in one place"

Quote:
Being able to add links is a start but I want to be able to embed attachment files into OF.
If you sync tasks with embedded files, does that mean the associated task on your palm/cellphone/whatever would contain a possibly huge file, one that probably can't be read?

Quote:
Being able to add links is a start but I want to be able to embed attachment files into OF. That is: I would like to be able to drag and drop PDFs etc onto folders/projects or tasks and for a copy of the document to be placed in an OF folder on my MAC .... Reasons:

1. Then I reduce the risk of deleting important documents whose association with OF I have forgotten :-)
if they are forgotten then how are they important? ;-)

Quote:
2. I can copy the entire data base - OF plus attachments for use on another machine (and hopefully to sync between machines eventually)
true; and I'm all for the option of being able to embed.

Quote:
3. This capability then closely matches the ideal of "everything in one place"
far from my ideal. I'd much rather have links. In the NeXTSTEP verison of Text Edit there were little blue diamonds that linked to other documents and the mesh of files was very useful in what amounted to my virtual file system back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlyle

Thanks for explaining how to do this. I just saw your post today, and it is very heplful.