The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Strange pop-up window Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Recently, I have begun to experience a pop-up menu
at what appear to be random times, on various different
web pages, while using Omni-Web 5.9.2 (v622.6.1.0.111015).
It reads:
~~
This page requires a password
Please enter a name and password for realm
"WebAdmin" on host 192.168.1.1.
~~
This is followed by input boxes for Name
and Password. I believe the URL is associated with my
DSL modem. Does anyone know why this
happens?

Is it possible that this window is open but in the background. Like it was once open when you closed OmniWeb and is re-opened since then?

I can't think of a way a pop-up can show-up without you clicking anything. Well, if it were Windows and an Anti-Virus scanner were absent then it would be easy to explain :)

What brand is your DSL modem? A ZyXEL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertom View Post
Is it possible that this window is open but in the background. Like it was once open when you closed OmniWeb and is re-opened since then?

I can't think of a way a pop-up can show-up without you clicking anything. Well, if it were Windows and an Anti-Virus scanner were absent then it would be easy to explain :)

What brand is your DSL modem? A ZyXEL?
=============
I've not done anything consciously to open that window, so I doubt if it remained open from an earlier time. Furthermore, after clicking the close box and seeing the window close, it has reappeared again -- perhaps a day later. Sometimes it seems to appear when I'm reading RSS feeds. I need to watch carefully to see if this is the only time it appears.

My modem is made by Actiontec (GT704-WG) and has Verizon's name on it. Thanks.

Well, that looks like an authentication window for your DSL modem. You should only be getting that if you try to connect to the modem from your browser. Maybe you did at some point in the past, and have the option set in your workspace to save all your windows?

Btw: The message is from your router, 192.168.1.1 is an usual IP address for it.

This means that probably a link somehow had target IP of 192.168.1.1 and that led your router to open that window. Maybe you have a chance to find out what let to IP 192.168.1.1. Have you checked your browser history for some evidence of the a link with that IP?

o/
Thomas

Thanks to supertom and whpalmer4 for your help. I looked at the history but did not see any addresses in the numerical format (like 192.168.1.1) so I simply deleted all of the history. And now I'll wait to see if it happens again.
Harvey

It could also be in your actual bookmarks, particularly if you have bookmark checking on. OmniWeb will periodically check each bookmark to see if it has changed since the last time you visited. If this happens for a site that requires authentication like this you will see a pop-up.

If this is the problem, you can turn bookmark checking off for the problem bookmark in Bookmark Info (or turn the checking feature off globally in the bookmark preferences).