The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Crashing far too often Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Within the last week I've encountered at least one crash per browsing session. There is no predictible context for when it will happen.

I'm getting very frustrated with this. I'm wondering whether the recent security updates from Apple have caused some sort of library mismatch for Omniweb.

Please improve the stability of this otherwise fine browser.

Something seems to have changed on the web. Wordpress, which has run flawlessly for me for a long time, would crash the browser on any page on wordpress.com for about 3 days last week. Now, out of nowhere, whenever I log onto google reader, I get a beachball for nearly a minute. It's quite frustrating.

I dunno about the web, but OW is crashing constantly on me too, pretty much ever since the 5.5.4 update.

A situation that almost always results in SBB: sometimes instead of clicking on my scrollbar, I miss, and I click just to the left of it (on a web page itself, generally a blank area that contains no text or graphics). Clicking and dragging (as if I were scrolling) on that area will frequently result in SBB.

A situation that almost always results in a crash: open several pages (each in a new tab) and before all have loaded, right-click on the bottom-most tab and select "Close Other Tabs."

I purchased an OW license because it was the fastest, most stable browser I'd seen. When I wipe my drive and reinstall my OS and all my apps, OW is still that browser. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long. By the time my apps have been reinstalled and I'm back to "normal" browser usage, OW is sluggish and crashes all the time. This is in spite of the steps I take to minimise my trouble with it: I flush the cache and clear the history after each browsing session (so at least 3-5 times a day) and I run Yasu daily.

I'm on a Mac Pro with 2GB RAM, running 10.4.9. I just hope that the next point release makes OW more stable on my system, because it really is my favourite browser.

I can only fill in. I have crashes every week. I was begining to belive there was problems with my Swedish localization but it seem that others have the same problems.

I have used OW for a long time but I beginning to be a bit frustrated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardan
I can only fill in. I have crashes every week. I was begining to belive there was problems with my Swedish localization but it seem that others have the same problems.

I have used OW for a long time but I beginning to be a bit frustrated...
I've noticed a few more crashes, too, one on a site that would bring OW down every time. Not sure if it has to do with Apple updates or something else.

there is not a single day when OW does not crash

this is extremely inconvenient.

when i am about to send a long email, OM crashes. when i am in the middle of a websearching process, OM unexpectedly crashes.
but of course, this happens quite randomly, there is no way to guess why OM crashes (at least from the average, non computer science expert as me).

i've been a strong supporter of this wonderful browser. in spite of the daily crashes (once or twice) i kept using OM.

but my patience has its limits. i am fed up of this awkward behavior.

i am therefore, and very reluctantly, setting back Safari as my default browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kint
there is not a single day when OW does not crash

this is extremely inconvenient.

when i am about to send a long email, OM crashes. when i am in the middle of a websearching process, OM unexpectedly crashes.
but of course, this happens quite randomly, there is no way to guess why OM crashes (at least from the average, non computer science expert as me).

i've been a strong supporter of this wonderful browser. in spite of the daily crashes (once or twice) i kept using OM.

but my patience has its limits. i am fed up of this awkward behavior.

i am therefore, and very reluctantly, setting back Safari as my default browser.
We're always happy to help with crashes. There are a few known problems out there but many are fixable. Feel free to contact omniWeb@omnigroup.com and let us know you're having trouble. We'll take a look at your crash reports for you.

OW only ever crashes for me if I happen to be running Parallels at the same time.

OW crashes for me a lot now as well.

In addition to random crashing, I've noticed that whenever I'm uploading a lot of data not through OW (either broadcasting internet radio or torrents, etc), it always crashes. This is regardless of whether or not I'm using OmniWeb at the time.

I don't know why, I never could get OmniWeb 5.5.2 and above working without crashing. And my laptop was brand new when I tried the 5.5.4 update, so I don't understand what's wrong and I am still using the 5.5.1 version which is very stable and never crashes.

I tried everything with 5.5.4 and even by trashing the pref file, it will crash at teh next launch ... And by trashing the pref file, I will loose ALL the ads blocked, ALL the personnalised searches and ALL the keywords !