The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tickler Perspective on the Ipad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi everyone!

On the iMac I use a tickler perspective that I learned from Curt and that is very useful. I collapse what started in the past and in the future and only focus on what started yesterday, what starts today and what will start tomorrow. This view is part of the perspective.

The problem is when I see this perspective on the iPad.

In the iPad it shows everything started in the past, that starts today and way there in the future which means a lot of scrolling to get where you want.

Is there a way to have this perspective in the iPad behave the way it does in the iMac?

Thanks

Having the groups (individual days on the iPad) collapsed as they are on the Mac is slated for the next revision, I believe. That should help. Also, if you collapse the groups with the little triangle at the right end of the bar, it does appear to remember that when you return.

Thanks whpalmer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Having the groups (individual days on the iPad) collapsed as they are on the Mac is slated for the next revision, I believe. That should help. Also, if you collapse the groups with the little triangle at the right end of the bar, it does appear to remember that when you return.
Good eye, Bill. I had missed that. Thanks!

Curt

I'm curious if I'm missing something or the functionality is different between the Mac and the iPad versions. I have a "Tickler" perspective set up on my Mac as follows:

Context Mode
Context Filter - Remaining
Grouping - Start
Sorting - Start
Availability - Remaining
Status - Any
Duration - Any

The perspective shows up on my Mac as:

Start Anytime (I keep collapsed)
Started Within the Last Week
Started Within the Next Week
Started Within the Next Month

On my iPad the Perspective shows up as:

Thursday, October 21, 2010
Monday, October 25, 2010
etc..........

Is there a way to get the iPad Perspective to show up the same way as on the Mac, i.e. - Started Within the ........ Instead of showing each specific day/date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreinke View Post
Is there a way to get the iPad Perspective to show up the same way as on the Mac, i.e. - Started Within the ........ Instead of showing each specific day/date?
Nope, not at the moment. Send in the feedback if you want one. I find that I'm mostly enjoying the iPad version, though I do occasionally want the Mac behavior. Maybe we could have the best of both worlds by putting in a divider that would allow collapsing the groups like on the Mac, but still allowing one to have individual days open or closed when the containing group is open. So, between the items starting 8 and 7 days ago, there would be another divider labeled "In the last week" with a disclosure triangle that would close the entire set, and similarly items starting a month ago, 3 months, etc. matching the Mac. These super groups would reflect the synced perspective state from the Mac, so if your perspective closed everything but a week on either side of the present, your iPad display would do the same.

If you have a lot of earlier days that you want to at least partially hide, tap and hold on one of the disclosure triangles at upper right and you'll get the option to collapse them all. I open the ones just before the present day, which makes for an easier scrolling target.

Thanks whpalmer4, I forgot about the "tap and hold on one of the disclosure triangles at upper right and you'll get the option to collapse them all" option. I haven't used it in awhile.

I like to see just what's coming up for this month, keeping the rest collapsed.

As for your suggestion, I like the idea of having the dividers (like the Mac version does), but I would still prefer to not have the day/date bar showing in the iPad, takes up space and just makes you have to scroll more. The "Start Within the Next Week" and then the "Start Within the Next Month" works for me a little better, you get the division of time, but not as granular.

Thanks again, I will send in the appropriate feedback.