The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trouble with Mail Rule Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi

I moved OmniFocus mail rule to top of list in Mail Preferences/Inbox Rules as it was automatically placed after all other rules and it now works perfectly!

D

I have followed the instructional tutorials online for how to setup the mail rule to allow sending tasks from mail directly to your omnifocus inbox, but no luck so far.

I have checked all the basics, all the boxes are checked for running the rule in omnifocus preferences and mail.app preferences. My OmniFocus database is labeled correctly in my home folder.

The only thing I can think of throwing it off is how I have my mail setup. I use IMAP for my business's Google Apps account. I have that and a personal gmail account feeding into my Apple Mail. I am able to send and recieve messages just fine, but can't get the rule to function.

I am only using the (--) subject rule not the one where you alter who its sent from (which i have no idea how to do).

Any ideas? I captured two of the screens below. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 1.png
Views:	621
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.png
Views:	604
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1928  

The only thing that looks odd there is the "archive the message back into the inbox" setting.

The suggestions from whpalmer4 in this thread are good for debugging situations like this. If none of those help, send the support ninjas an email and we can investigate this with you. Sorry for the trouble!

Last edited by Brian; 2011-10-20 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: removed link, since it pointed back to merged thread.

Brian provides wonderful advice, as usual :-) I would suggest archiving into a different folder so that they don't clutter up your inbox, and also to prevent any mail glitches from processing them all again, filling up your OF inbox with tasks that are duplicates of others scattered throughout your database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssavanna View Post
I am only using the (--) subject rule not the one where you alter who its sent from (which i have no idea how to do).
Actually, you don't alter who it is sent from, but rather you add "+omnifocus" to the left hand side of the email address you send it to. So you would send an email to ssav...+omnifocus@gmail.com, and gmail would deliver it to the ssav...@gmail.com account—the "+omnifocus" doesn't actually change the destination, but does provide a means to filter. You can send the email from any account you like, so long as it is listed in the list of allowable addresses, and it can generate a message OmniFocus can read.

Not every mail service allows the "+XYZ" format, but gmail does, so that isn't the issue. I use it for making up addresses to give to companies, so when I start getting spam addressed to "mygmailaddr+CretinsRUs@gmail.com" I know that CretinsRUs had something to do with the spammers getting my address, and I can easily set up a rule that chucks email sent to that address directly into the bit bucket, but if they turn out to be good netizens, it works just like the rest of my email. Unfortunately, there are uninformed website builders out there who think a "+" character is not a legal component of an email address.

thanks for the replies.

So I am almost positive this issue involves the database- either the file, extension or the location. The second I update the OmniFocus rule from (--) to +omnifocus it shows up immediately in the rule section of Mail.app, so they are responding to one another.

Heres what the Apple rule window looks like. I had to take two images to allow you to see the full applescript bar. Does it show the correct path? It was showing a different path earlier and I changed it to go the OmniFocus database in my home folder. Neither work.

Can someone post the correct applescript location I should change it to? thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture1.png
Views:	488
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1929   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture2.png
Views:	469
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1930  

Last edited by ssavanna; 2011-06-16 at 07:18 PM..

I don't use the rule myself to offer much help, but I can say that you don't want to change the path to the script in the Mail rule. The path that OmniFocus creates is to the script located inside the OmniFocus.app package. At a minimum, you'll want to delete the rule and start over so that OmniFocus re-creates the rule with the proper path.

When you do that, try disabling the Archive in mailbox preference and check that the rule only has the steps pictured below. If it works, then you can always manually add the mark as read and move to mailbox commands.

Adding the mail rule in preferences had just put an item in the right click drop down, and was working well, but has abruptly disappeared. All my efforts to rectify have failed (reset etc). Does anyone have a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjcook View Post
Adding the mail rule in preferences had just put an item in the right click drop down, and was working well, but has abruptly disappeared. All my efforts to rectify have failed (reset etc). Does anyone have a solution?
Probably, but your description is lacking sufficient detail to figure out what you've done and what is or is not happening...and your reference to "right click drop down" makes me think you are confusing the mail rule with the clipping facility or the Clip-o-Tron 3000. So, how about a description of just what you are trying to do and what you have configured, spelled out in enough detail that someone who can't actually see your screen knows what it means? A mention of what was working well, and what you see now that it has disappeared wouldn't hurt, either.

Hello,

OmniFocus is really a great program! That's why I think it's a shame I can't get mail rules to work. I have only planned to use 'a subject starting with'.

I have read other threads about the subject but still can't get it to work.

What I have done is to:
* Check the box in preferences to use e-mail rules
* Check to use the subject starting with -- ( I haven't done any changes to it)
* Check the 'archive processed message in inbox'
* Typed in my address that I send out emails with

I thought about using mail rules to 'waiting for' (GTD). So when I emailed a person that he should do something and then get it automatically in the OF as a reminder to myself. So I write an email I send from my email address (found in preferences in OmniFocus) in the 'Subject' in Mac Mail, I write '-- buy milk' in cc I write my own email address as I set up to also receive the mail in my 'waiting for' folder in Mac Mail. Then I send it away but nothing happens in OmniFocus ....

I get the clipping to work with Mac Mail and everything else also works very well with OmniFocus even sync with iCal. It's just that I can't get this to work. Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
So I write an email I send from my email address (found in preferences in OmniFocus) in the 'Subject' in Mac Mail, I write '-- buy milk' in cc I write my own email address as I set up to also receive the mail in my 'waiting for' folder in Mac Mail. Then I send it away but nothing happens in OmniFocus ....
You've probably got the rule to move that message into your 'waiting for' folder above the rule that creates the OmniFocus action, which prevents the OmniFocus rule from ever being run. Instead of having separate rules, have OmniFocus Archive the processed message in your 'waiting for' folder.

When debugging things like this, it's a useful practice to start with the most generic configuration possible, and modify it one step at a time toward your intended destination, making sure that it continues to work at each step.