The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Auto Organizing of Support documentation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One of the problems I have with my current GTD system is keeping track of my files that are part of my project.

Here is my current workflow:
I have an outline where I keep track of my GTD systems. This would be OmniFocus.

If I am working on files with a project, I place them inside of a folder in my Documents folder on my hard drive.
User->Documents->Active Projects->ProjectA

Then if I have email correspondence, I have a folder in my Mail program for the project:
Active Projects->ProjectA

The problem is project names are not consistant across the three places I am tracking. I know it's something I can do, but it's the amount of maintenance it requires.

When I am finished with a project, I have to clear the project in three different places.

Here is where the dream comes in...
It would be wonderful if OmniFocus could somehow automate these actions:
1. When a new project is created, create a folder in a folder of my choosing were documents will be stored.
2. When a new project is created, create a folder in my mail program where emails for that project will be stored.

This is one of the "flaws" of midnights inbox program. It sees emails that come in, but does nothing to organize them, and it leaves all of them in the inbox. Not GTD philosophy...

I would like a program that moves emails for me, but if I go into my mail program, I can make sense of what OF is doing.

I guess the perfect world would be to add tags that smart folders could be used to work upon. The native Mac Mail program doesn't have tag support... maybe leopard? There is another program out there that adds tags to email messages and stores them in headers.
http://www.indev.ca/MailTags.html

I haven't gotten into using it. But if files & emails are tagged with project name, spotlight could be used to search.

This suggestion may be better suited for independant AppleScripts.

Last edited by SpiralOcean; 2007-01-23 at 10:08 PM..