The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Task type for "deliverables"!? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

How would be the procedure for adding external deliverables do a chart.

If I'm waiting for electronic parts etc, I want tasks dependent to those leveled after est. delivery dates.

External deliverables from for example external graphics people. I don't want to plan them as a Task with Time (start/end), I just want to insert a date where I expect to receive the graphics.

I might have missed out on the whole Resource -> Material type. ? any tips!?

I think what you want here is a milestone. That milestone would be "Receive Graphics Deliverable" (or whatever). Then you can set the date on the milestone, and put in dependencies from that milestone to your dependent tasks. Your tasks will be leveled after the delivery dates, and if those delivery dates change, your tasks will move to accommodate it.

Is there a way to mark a milestone complete? I'd like to tick them off as they go by, and have them update their actual completion v.s. their baseline.

For instance, I have a milestone to hand over documentation to tech pubs. If I hand that over 2 days late, I want to 1) show that it was completed and 2) show that it was off plan.

I don't want to use tasks for this, as they really are milestone activites. Kind of boolean in nature "did I do it? yes/no"

I would like this too. I have set all completed tasks to grey text. It would be nice if milestones could have a similar 'attained' status.

Just attached an example before "Lizard" told me about the shift-drag thing. Have to try that one.

Is it a Gantt thing or omniplan thing that you should think top-down = time!?
I mean, we have the timeline which is left to right!

I tend to structure my plans with a couple of tasks with it's sub-tasks which is the details for that task.
Then I want milestones for external deliverables make one or many overall tasks dependent.

I think it's nice to group/indent Milestones for deliverables, and since they can occur at different times during a project I can't have them all in sync vertically (which would require them to be splitted all over the task-list).

/d
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	milestone_trouble.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	110  

The correlation between top-down and time is not some rule we meant to impose on our users. It's an observation of how people tend to structure their gantt charts in any app. The primary way for creating dependencies in OmniPlan (dragging arrows) is not affected by the order of your tasks. But we looked at a lot of Gantt charts online, and some our users have sent us, and noted that more arrows point down than up. So we though adding a toolbar that provides a shortcut for the more common use would save some people time.

Grouping milestones at the top of the project is another common practice we saw, but we haven't thought of any specific shortcuts that would help users there.

Hi there, just started using the full version (dabbled with the beta version). I would also like to be able to mark milestones complete. This is often how projects I work on report current status (milestones complete vs those that will slip).

There is the ability to view all milestones as part of the project inspector but it would be even better if we could view additional information (such as complete or not) and maybe even assign a rag status to it. Then select it so it can be pasted into a word or excel document for presentation.