The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Other WebDAV
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Webdav? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMethod View Post
If you carefully watch OmniFocus on your Mac as it "syncs" to WebDAV, you should notice that the progress bar never fills--it just stays empty, until OmniFocus decides that it's successfully synced. Contrast this to doing a sync to disk, and you'll see that even fast syncs fill the progress bar.

For some reason, OmniFocus just isn't finishing its WebDAV syncs. I tried copying a disk-synced file to a WebDAV server, and the iPhone app sees the database, but no data shows up.
Yes, this is exactly what I'm seeing. I don't have any control over the WebDAV server, so I can't rule out it being a problem on that end; but since OF isn't giving any errors, I would guess the problem lies with OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Please email omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com so one of our support ninjas can help you get things going.
That's pretty cool of you to offer direct support..... in recent developments.....

OMG VICTORY! I got my webDAV on my machine setup! Synced all items. I did have to restore my OF database on my mac from a backup before everything came together.

Thank god.

On the plus side, I can give myself credit for my weekly continuing education activity of "30 min tech reading" and "30 min working on tools"! Who knew! :]

...huh. Somehow my data just showed up on my iPhone. I'm not sure if MobileMe came up or what. If anyone here is just using WebDAV until MobileMe comes back, you might try iDisk syncing again.

These were the easiest instructions for me to follow http://www.timefold.com/osx/tips/webdavical.html

There was a syntax problem with the httpd.conf file. The Directory and LimitExcept tags need to be closed. So, it should be
# WebDAV folder
<Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents/dav">
DAV On
AuthName 'WebDAV'
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
<LimitExcept GET HEAD OPTIONS>
require valid-user
</LimitExcept>
</Directory>

Hope this helps somebody.

:rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
I am, for one, totally fu**cking lost.

$20 later, I'm scrambling all over the interwebs trying to get my OF database onto my iPhone with absolutely _no_ clue what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
We cannot do wired sync. It's not possible; only iTunes has access. WebDAV, either to MobileMe or some other provider, is the only option that we had available.
I understand...thank you for the information. It must be frustrating to be under Apple's thumb about this but (IMHO) if you want iOF to be as easy, reliable and rocking as your other apps are generally considered, some downloadable scripts, or even building web dav into OF or or or something is in order.

Many don't have the knowledge to enable webdav...many more (like me) don't really have the time (I'll probably break down and make some time but...) and many others (like me) don't want to a) pay for .me (or some equivalent) or b) be totally reliant on .me (or some equivalent).

Thank you for trying and good luck overcoming this usability conundrum!

-kidtreo

I don't mean to keep whining about the same thing, but until I get web dav running >locally< on >my< box, I'm not going to be able to trust my system.

This fix is great...until Bingodisk.com goes down the day I need OF most...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpmack View Post
I'll triple that, got sick of waiting for MobileMe/iDisk to come back to life, and signed up for a $19/year for 10GB of storage at Bingodisk.com and was up and running with Omnifocus between two Macs and an iPhone in a couple minutes.

I'm dreading figuring this out...how long did it take you to get web dav up? can you post new, clearer instructions please?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3wster View Post
Thanks, I got my own hosted WebDAV working! I used the previously mentioned forum link with the post #5 directions. My troubles were remedied with the following command
"Apple changed the Apache installed in Leopard from 1.x to 2.x. This breaks stuff horribly as the config files are a bit different and you can't simply copy your old one over to the new /etc/apache2/ directory. I used bbedit to diff the two files and merge some stuff, but was still unable to get aliases outside the document root working. Then I came across a hint that suggests a simple fix:
"You will find a Deny from all under <Directory /> (line 177 or alike). Change it to Allow from all."

This fixed the permission errors I was getting for stuff like phpMyAdmin and my iTunes folder which I can access remotely once again.
/cheer"

Now I'll just wait for the ipod touch software update, I can't wait to test this out!!:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
That's pretty cool of you to offer direct support..... in recent developments.....

OMG VICTORY! I got my webDAV on my machine setup! Synced all items. I did have to restore my OF database on my mac from a backup before everything came together.

Thank god.

On the plus side, I can give myself credit for my weekly continuing education activity of "30 min tech reading" and "30 min working on tools"! Who knew! :]
Agreed...OG are a great group.

Congratulations! Which instructions did you follow or did you have to contact (call or email?) the support ninjas?

Or by extension, until the day your locally hosted DAV store breaks due to some security update, a slip of the wrist or beer spilled into your machine. Offsite is just as, if not more, 'trustworthy' as on your local machine. And, hey, I got it up and running in 3 minutes!

But we all have our comfort zones. Good luck!