The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Merging Two Databases Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have two different jobs and want to have separate databases. I'd like to open a different window for each database. Is this possible?

It's technically possible. However, OmniFocus (and GTD) are really about drawing all your information together, so you can view it all in one place. Why do you want separate databases?

Also, if you're syncing OmniFocus on multiple Macs or iPhones, it only syncs your default database, so any other databases will be trapped on a single machine.

I've got two databases on different computers. How do I merge them? Should I export from one to the other, and then sync the one I exported from?

To follow up on Lizard's question: I handle multiple responsibilities by creating different folders (Job 1, Job 2, Job 3). Then I can use the Focus command to see only what is relevant for Job 1 when I'm working on it. It relieves me of a load of stress, since I can keep all my projects and actions in the same database but when I need to focus, I can. It's one of the great features of OmniFocus.

rllewis: Sorry I completely misunderstood. Yes, as a one-time thing you can have two databases open side-by-side. I just don't think it's a good long-term practice.

Export the database on one computer (give it a name other than OmniFocus.ofocus so you'll recognize it later) and transfer it to the other by some normal file-transfer means (USB thumb drive, network share, emailing yourself an attachment, etc.). Now double-click that exported file on the computer where you want to merge them, and it should open in its own window in OmniFocus. Then you can copy/paste or drag-n-drop from this file to your default database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllewis@mac.com View Post
I have two different jobs and want to have separate databases. I'd like to open a different window for each database. Is this possible?
I'm trying to do the same. I'm trying to follow the GTD method and keep my to do's in a single place.

I have a job that requires security and confidentiality. It appears as if the Focus database file is a series of .xml files. It is highly desirable to be able to access encrypted databases at the top level and allow users to "aggregate" encrypted databases in a single UI upon launch.

There's a handy little program called RooSwitch which will enable this for OmniFocus and others.

http://roobasoft.com/rooSwitch/

I used OmniFocus on two Macs; thus, I have two databases.

When I try to sync them with OmniSync, I get the following error:
The local and remote databases are unrelated.

In order to synchronize changes between databases, they must be related. Since there is no common history between these databases, you'll have to choose which copy to use.
Both of these are actually valid, and I would hate to lose either, although the one that isn't on the server does have less information.

Is there any way to merge the two? I actually don't see anything in the Sync preferences that would allow to merge or replace either one.

Thank you.

Actually, this can be deleted. I opened the server one and the backup database and then just used drag and drop. :) Sorry for the post!

Bit of an old post but hoping you'll see this and reply.

I have OF on two devices (MacBook Pro and iPad) and my father has the same. We have decided to share one list but I was hoping to being able to 'merge' our two databases without having to type up one to another.

Does this 'drag and drop' option help me? If so could you explain this in more detail please.

Thank you