The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sequential projects w/ repeating actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpwhistler View Post
Thanks...this is almost exactly what I wanted. How do I get the action group itself to show up in context view when I've finished with all the children? Is there a setting somewhere that when I complete all of the children in an action group, that action group itself is completed? One of the reasons I use OF is because I'm extremely forgetful in my "old age." I can see myself forgetting to go look for all of the finished action groups in planning view, or missing one or two (I have a folder hierarchy in planning view that would make most wince) because I don't see them.
Yet another variation (in addition to the one Lucas gave) is to make it a repeating project instead of an action group. Then you can use the stalled projects selector (over the sidebar) to spot it during your daily review (assuming you've done all the actions, but not checked off the top-level project as complete). If necessary, put a repeating daily action somewhere else (with a due date) to remind you to do the daily review :-)

The daily review is a very handy thing for making sure that things aren't falling through the cracks. Look at stalled projects to make sure whatever they are stalled for is still a good reason. Make sure projects that need attention are getting it. OmniFocus has some decent infrastructure for helping you with the review process. You can track when a project was last reviewed, set differing review frequencies based on how often a project might need your attention, and so on. Put "review" into the Help search for the details. It is unfortunate that they don't put the Review button in the default toolbar, because in my opinion getting in the habit of doing the review is one of the best things about a GTD or GTD-like system. Close those feedback loops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Here are two features which we're currently considering for 1.6:
  • <bug://bugs/40849> (Give action groups and projects the option to automatically complete when their actions are complete)
  • <bug://bugs/39498> (Add an inspector option to place a repeating action based on its date relative to its peers)
Ken, I trust 40849 will allow setting that option on an individual project/group basis? In my opinion, it would be useless for those of us who don't want to (or can't) completely plan out a project in advance if we had to set it as a global preference.

One difficulty with the "vote for a feature" idea is that we don't get to see the whole ballot! I appreciate that customer privacy is very important, not to mention competitive advantage, but is there any way we could see a bigger list of headlines for feature requests so we could send in our votes? Not every suggestion sent in gets hashed out on the forum beforehand...

I agree about the action group automatically completing. I don't plan my projects with all the details and usually just get a rough outline going with things I know need to happen. When there are no more actions in a project, then I either add actions or complete the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
My suggestion: in a sequential project or group, when you complete a repeating action, the next iteration should be placed at the BOTTOM of the project or group. That would solve the whole problem, as far as I can tell.
I have just now stumbled into this problem and it has sidetracked me for about one hour. I thought I would streamline my workflow by detailing a sequence of actions I have to do monthly while being able to see only the next action - nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Here are two features which we're currently considering for 1.6:
  • <bug://bugs/40849> (Give action groups and projects the option to automatically complete when their actions are complete)
  • <bug://bugs/39498> (Add an inspector option to place a repeating action based on its date relative to its peers)

If you'd like to see these, please send your vote to our support ninjas at omnifocus@omnigroup.com. Thanks!
I've just sent my vote, I hope this does make it into the next update.