The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PDF again Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I just registered OmniWeb. I would like to have PDF's appear in the browser window; right now they download to the desktop and display in Preview, which is my default PDF viewer.

I tried installing the free PDF plugin by "Schubert" at the root level of Library/Internet Plugins and restarting. The PDF Plugin shows up checked off in OW's plug-in window, and I've disabled Adobe Reader's plug in in the AR Internet pref's pane, but still, PDF's download to the deskop andd open in Preview. Am I missing something?

Also, can OW use the system spell checker to underline misspelled words in form fields?

Thank you,

Steve

Are you on an Intel Mac? If so, the SchubertIT plug-in is not Universal and will not work unless you run OmniWeb as a PPC application in Rosetta.

Spelling - yes. Go to the Edit menu>Spelling and select Check spelling as you type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Are you on an Intel Mac? If so, the SchubertIT plug-in is not Universal and will not work unless you run OmniWeb as a PPC application in Rosetta.

Spelling - yes. Go to the Edit menu>Spelling and select Check spelling as you type.
No, I'm on a Powerbook G4, so Rosetta isn't an issue here. Still mystified why the plug-in doesn't work...

Thanks for the tip on the spelling activation!

Take care,

Steve

Do you have the latest version of the plug-in and what happens if you install it in your user library internet plug-ins folder instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Oh. :(

I wondered why it wasn't working. It really is a nuisance to have to download PDFs and view them separately, instead of viewing them in OW.

Is there any other way one can view PDFs in OW 5.5.1?

Thankyou :)

Hi, I'm also on a Powerbook, the last generation 15" Powerbook to be precise, and I cannot get pdf's to open in the browser either. I have not had these problems with other browsers. I'll post back if I find a solution.

Matthew Whiting

Try this from troyb. The PDF will display in a window but no "features" like text resizing/zooming

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
You can get OmniWeb to display PDF files without any helper plug-ins by turning a hidden preference off.

Quit OmniWeb, open a terminal window and enter this:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool false

Now restart OmniWeb and PDFs should be displayed in the browser window! This feature is lacking some functionality at the moment but you shouldn't have any problem opening PDFs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshalperin
Try this from troyb. The PDF will display in a window but no "features" like text resizing/zooming
I tried that solution yesterday, and the next time I clicked on a pdf it did indeed load in the browser window. Once I restarted Omniweb again, however, it had reverted to the previous behaviour.

Matthew Whiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Whiting
I tried that solution yesterday, and the next time I clicked on a pdf it did indeed load in the browser window. Once I restarted Omniweb again, however, it had reverted to the previous behaviour.

Matthew Whiting
PDF's still load in a separate OW window for me despite many restarts of OW (and reboots of OS X).

A shot in the dark, but what happens if you delete the com.schubert-it.internet-plugin.pdf plist files from your ~/Library/Preferences folder?