The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > General > Forums Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ideas to make this board better Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
1. Change the bookmark/rss feed update option to allow it to be checked every minute (this is in OW.) That way people who are used to the mailing list can just check the RSS feed often.
:)
2. Install a theme that utilizes some basis design rules (grid, priority levels...)

3. (Going off priority above) modify the nav so that the important items are delineated from the less important items. I'm guessing Control Panel is not the most important item in the nav, so it should be moved.

4. Remove form fields from dropdowns and re-implement such items as the search tool.

What other ideas do you guys have?

Important and less important ... These are difficult. I mean: There are people who use the CP all the time on forum software. Others only need the "New Posts" link (which kinda replaces your RSS feed update thingie, just go to the search for new posts link from time to time, you can actually bookmark that one and give it a shortcut...).

About the form fields: I'd rather see those items fixed in webkit, since that's where the error lies...

I just noticed that in the newest nightly webkit, those issues are _halfway_ solved. I.e. the form elements in those submenus don't disappear once they have focus, but the positioning of the submenus is way off... I guess we'll see a fix in OW 5.5sp2 or sp3, hopefully... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryke
Important and less important ... These are difficult. I mean: There are people who use the CP all the time on forum software.
But do you think it's the most commonly used feature? Priority is fairly easy to set. Either go through the logs and look at the most commonly requested features or make a choice as a company of what the purpose of the forums are, then prioritize from that.

Quote:
Others only need the "New Posts" link (which kinda replaces your RSS feed update thingie, just go to the search for new posts link from time to time, you can actually bookmark that one and give it a shortcut...).
I use the New Posts link all the time, but it doesn't replace the RSS bit at all. The reasoning for that is an indicator which will automatically show me if there's a new post. Same as in the mailing list I have a filter which puts mail from the list into a specific mail box. When there's a new message, the number indicator displays. There's no need for clicking on anything to see that.

Quote:
About the form fields: I'd rather see those items fixed in webkit, since that's where the error lies...
Well, it's not up to the OG to fix WebKit. So you are suggesting that we leave it as it is - broken for OmniWeb users so they don't have a quick search function, or have them use Firefox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Well, it's not up to the OG to fix WebKit. So you are suggesting that we leave it as it is - broken for OmniWeb users so they don't have a quick search function, or have them use Firefox?
It may not be up to OmniGroup to fix WebKit per se, but it is certainly in their interests to see things working in it now that they are using it. I assume that they don't simply use WebKit without offering back any fixes they find for things.

Just starting to check out the forums, they are a great idea, thanks for getting them up and running. The avatars and pics are a nice touch.

I don't get the "quick reply" doodad, though. It says to "click one of the icons above" to activate the box, but it doesn't work. Is it not functional yet or am I reading it wrong? ;)

I like the icons too.

The green radio button that opens up options is eggggcellent.

The "buttons above" are in the posts above not the ones on the message box above where you type. The quick reply icon is at lower right of each post.

Along with the improvement suggestions made already
- get rid of the calendar
- get rid of Members List (at least as something on the toolbar)
- name Quick Links something like Actions
- make the search option always visible with a check box for "this thread only"