The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOLVED: Mysteriously growing OmniFocus.ofocus file Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
An addendum: I've found one seemingly watertight (but painfully hackish) way of reducing the file size, at least. (Still haven't tested its impact on syncing... Maybe I just broke everything ;-)

On one of the machines:

1. Turn off sync
2. Export to OmniFocus file
3. Manually replace ~/Library/Application\ Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus with the exported file (as it seems impossible to simply import it)
4. Delete OmniFocus.ofocus from your iDisk
5. Turn on sync again

After this, you should hopefully be able to "broadcast" this new file to the other machines (or you could simply delete their files before syncing, to make sure). Haven't tried this part yet, though, as I'm still waiting for my iDisk to finish a previous sync of the OmniFocus file (which is taking *quite* some time...).

Update: I've now synced the new file with the server(and realized that I probably didn't have to wait for the iDisk -- I erroneously thought OF worked with the local copy), with some transactions added, downloaded it with another OF, synced that and then synced the first -- and now everything looks like it should. I.e., the added transactions are now consolidated with the database, which is 148K. Yay!

It remains to be seen if it will still work when I involve my third machine (at work) tomorrow... Oh, well. If not, at least now I have a reset hack when it grows too large :)

Last edited by mlh; 2008-07-20 at 06:02 PM..

Can someone describe to a luddite like myself where I would find OF on the server. I am on Bingo disk. How do I find this file.

Usually I don't feel this "in the dark". I understood the directions that Lizard gave earlier in this thread, but don't know where to look for the server.

Thanks

Last edited by MichaelG; 2008-07-20 at 10:54 PM..

I feel less Luddite-ish. After mucking around a bit I found it and ended up getting the same results as everyone else. When I first finished my synch on the desktop still took a long time. I quite OF and relaunched. After that my syncs are back to the good old days.

In my case though, I don't recall messing with the settings once I was successfully synching. It will be interesting to watch and see if performance stays down in the seconds range.

Thanks Lizard. OF feels much more useful again.

My DB was only 1 MB in size but I only have about 20 line items to do. After totally deleting out the file, and reverting to the back up, deleting the .client files (even though I had the appropiate number), and sync'ing, it went down to 16 KB. It went up to 20 KB after one action was updated.

Does cleanup not reduce the file size? Personally, I want a button I can click to remove the old and compact the size. Delete forever would make for a nice option to manually perform every once in a while.

I suspect that the Omni guys changed something fundamental in the way the sync process works. Here's why:

A few days ago, I was having problems with my data file growing larger and larger. I applied the "Lizard fix", and my data file went from over 8MB to 56K. Then within a day it went up to around 300K, but stayed steady at that size.

Then yesterday, I upgraded to the most recent sneaky peak, and noticed in the release notes this sentence "Fixed problems with syncing multiple computers or devices at the same time against the same iDisk or WebDAV server." Hmmm... I thought.

And then I noticed that all of my clients (2 computers, 1 iPhone) wanted to revert their databases to a server or local copy. Thankfully, I had a good data copy on the server and so I didn't lose anything.

Well, then I checked out the package contents on the server and noticed a whole bunch of .client files. At first, I was alarmed... but I trust the Omni guys, so I kept an eye on it. And my file IS NOT growing, in fact, it has shrunk to 65K.

Lizard, could you give any insight into this? Should I be concerned that there are now a whole bunch of .client files in my OF database? It seems like the size is just fine, so I just want to make sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beharkey View Post
Lizard, could you give any insight into this? Should I be concerned that there are now a whole bunch of .client files in my OF database? It seems like the size is just fine, so I just want to make sure.
I'm seeing the same thing on my iDisk: multiple .client files for my Mac OmniFocus database. However, there appears to be only one .client file for my iPhone (those are the only two clients I have syncing).

Despite the multiple .client files, everything seems to be syncing properly without a hitch.

-Dennis

Hello

I have a temp ( hope based ) .mobileme account. Your instructions are I assume to browse the iDisk for OM file to examine package contents is that correct, if so I do not find anything, if assumption is wrong kindly point me towards the correct "server" for me to examine.

Terence

The OmniFocus file if you're using MobileMe is in your Documents folder on the iDisk.

I've verified that's where it is on mine... you need to look for it harder ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Dodge View Post
Your instructions are I assume to browse the iDisk for OM file to examine package contents is that correct, if so I do not find anything, if assumption is wrong kindly point me towards the correct "server" for me to examine.
Yes, in the Finder, select iDisk in your sidebar and go to Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus, then right-click on the file and select the "Show Package Contents" option. This will open a new Finder window revealing the database file, all transaction files, and multiple .client files if you've been syncing.

I personally find it easier to view my database on my iDisk using Panic's Transmit, but Finder works fine too.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I'm seeing the same thing on my iDisk: multiple .client files for my Mac OmniFocus database.
Watching this closely over the past hour or so, it seems like the .zip and .client files are cleaned up after a delay. I now have fewer .client files than I had 30 minutes ago.

I love hearing about the inner workings of OmniFocus and the sync process, so if any Omni Group people want to shed some light on this, I'm all ears. :)

-Dennis