The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I miss my thumbnail tabs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Omniweb was my default browser pretty much since OS X 10.0, probably until about March of this year. I was using 10.5.1 and the sneaky peeks of 10.5.2, but the random quits and occasional incompatibilities made it unusable. I looked to see what was there with most of the features in omniweb and found very few mac-like options and no with a decent implementation of thumbnail tabs. Safaristand is not a solution, it hardly works at all, and opera just has too many rendering issues (although their tabs are the most acceptable implementation after omniweb). I know that your great productivity software and your launch on the ipad platform has taken precedence over omniweb, and that I may be the only one, but I would still pay for an updated omniweb. Okay enough whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashdollar View Post
I know that your great productivity software and your launch on the ipad platform has taken precedence over omniweb, and that I may be the only one, but I would still pay for an updated omniweb. Okay enough whining.
You're not the only one. I'd pay also.

when was their last update?

I would go back to paying as well. Even it if the only improvement was making the application more stable.

It seems I'm not a power user, then. I'm running 10.6.4 with the latest graphics update installed on a revision 1 MacBook Pro 17" with a 2.16G processor and 2 GB RAM; OmniWeb is 10.5.2 sneakypeek 133543 with 11 tabs opening on load. It is totally and utterly stable, and any speed hits that affect me are certainly down to bandwith or network problems.

The only thing I've seen in other browsers that I wish OW had is Safari's "Reader". Apart from that, nothing at all. And other browsers don't have the graphical tab drawer, workspaces ...

Yeah, it'll be good when OW6 appears eventually. In the meantime, I can only say I can be grateful that I'm not one of those for whom potentially milliseconds longer spent loading a page is enough to drive my blood-pressure up!

I've switched to Safari recently (mostly for compatibility issues).
I miss thumbnail tabs too… and workspaces. I can't believe only Opera has visual tabs. It's so much quicker to identify.

Google "Readability" and set your options on the main page. Then move the bookmarklet into your bookmarks folder. Click the bookmarklet any time you want to read an article in "Reader."

its really a big problem once you pay you can upload it only once but however you face-up crash in it or anything like that you have to pay again to reinstall it. please find solution to this and reply me to. thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese View Post

<snip...>

The only thing I've seen in other browsers that I wish OW had is Safari's "Reader". Apart from that, nothing at all. And other browsers don't have the graphical tab drawer, workspaces ...

<snip>
This is my first post here :).

There is one thing that OW doesn't have that Opera does, and that's binding to the system cmd-key sequences. I find this incredibly useful, e.g., when in Opera, cmd-i while typing in a forum that uses Jelsoft's "vBulletin" forum software auto-pastes "[ i][ /i]" (spaces inserted here to make the sequence show up ;). Since I use this type of forum almost exclusively (by happy accident rather than design), I find this invaluable. It doesn't stop there, however: in Opera I can select some text in the text input field in vBulletin forums, and type cmd-i, cmd-b or whatever, and the selected text is encapsulated by the formatting sequence, not deleted and replace by said sequence.

It would be great if OW would be able to do the same - Opera's javascript and Flash support are horrible. The other thing that prevents me from using OW full time is that in some other types of forum software, OW inserts what appears to be either an LF or a CR/LF at a set number of words, rather than allowing soft-wrapping of text and hard line-wraps using the "enter" key. Opera doesn't make this unholy mess. I had to stop using OW quick-smart because of this: the forum that this happens in particularly (not vBulletin-based, btw), rcscalebuilder.com, is one that I contribute to quite a bit, so using OW is right out - I've been spoilt by Opera. Except that Opera is driving me up the wattle with various js inconsistencies and inability to use Flash controls (which knocks YouTube on the head) and I would like to move to OW, which is the only other option in my opinion (I can't run Chrome as I only have PPC machines at the moment, can't afford Intel Macs, and Chrome only runs on Intel machines). Maybe I should make a new thread with the above formatting business.

Cheers,
Alex.