The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problem with multiple quick entries Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Whenever I try to create several actions at once – for the same project – using the quick-entry panel, OF lists them in reverse order.

To explain with a hypothetical example:
- I invoke the quick-entry panel;
- I create action 1 for project x (a sequential project);
- I hit shift-return to create a new action;
- I create action 2 for project x;
- I hit return twice to save these new actions in OF;
- when I switch to OF and enter planning mode, I find that, under project x, action 2 is listed first and action 1 is listed second. In other words, the system is automated to show me the wrong next action.

Is there any way around this? It's a hassle having to reorder the actions back in planning mode when an apparently simple tweak would solve the problem. Or am I missing something?

Obviously, this is a problem that gets worse the more sequential actions you try to enter at once. Indeed, it defeats the object of the quick-entry panel, because it means that, if you want to enter multiple actions for the same project, you're better off invoking the panel multiple times (or switching back to OF).

Two related questions I have are these:
- Why does the quick-entry panel scroll down instead of up?
- And is this at the root of the problem I've just described?

I should add that, as a whole, the app looks fantastic, and I'll be pre-ordering my copy of Version 1 very soon.

Last edited by canadagoose; 2007-11-17 at 09:43 AM..

The root of the problem is that shift-return creates a line above the previous one, just as shift-tab moves focus to the previous field. Return creates a new action after the current action if you uncheck "Return should also save and exit" in the General Preferences. If you do this, you have to use command-S to save and exit Quick Entry, but you get your actions in the proper order in the Inbox and the new project.

Aha! So I was missing something. Thanks Brian.