The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't empty trash after using built-in update feature Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Every time I install an update to OmniFocus via the built-in updater, the trashed (previous) version will not empty from the trash, because the file "OmniFocusMetadataImporter" is in use. I can easily work around this by using terminal to 'rm -rf' the app bundle, but this happens every single time, and really should be fixed in the software itself.

I've seen this same issue. I believe it has to do with Spotlight still using the old OmniFocus' MetadataImporter (which allows OmniFocus actions to be search with Spotlight). I'm not sure if there's much Omni Group can do to work around this as I think the issue is actually with the OS rahter than OmniFocus. I've seen this with other apps as well; happens a lot when I replace an app frequently in beta testing.

Either way, if you wait a bit (as much as 30 minutes on my machine), the file is eventually released and you can delete it normally by just emptying the trash.

I've also noticed that if you do "Secure Empty Trash" from the Finder, it'll also deletes the file immediately, even if it's in use by Spotlight.

-Dennis

The OmniFocusMetadataImporter is being used by Spotlight, not us directly. I'm not sure why it's always holding on to it.

But I'll go ahead and file a bug in case there's anything we can do about it.

Fwiw, there is another error message you can sometimes get when trying to delete which is due to the component that is used to traffic e-mails from Mail to OmniFocus (I forget the message). In this instance, quitting Mail if it is open often helps to allow you to delete OmniFocus.