The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running out of power Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey everyone,

For about a week now I'm troubled about my battery life. I'm just wondering if OmniFocus for iPhone has received reports about it draining power after it's been 'minimized' or 'closed' (not sure what term to use with regards to the iPhone). My iPhone has surprised me too often by being out of battery in the past few weeks.

There is another application (dutch news app, called nu.nl) that might be the culprit. I'm just checking here to see if anyone else has trouble.

On the iPhone, if an app isn't open, it really isn't running - specifically because of battery concerns. When the home button is pressed, we have we have a small window of time to finish up before the OS forces us to quit.

Possible culprits: is the screen on for long stretches? WiFi or Push notification?

Is your phone "jailbroken"? What Brian has written is true of non-jailbroken iPhones, but it is possible to leave apps running in the background on jailbroken ones. However, don't expect any sympathy if you are one of those doing this - greater instability and a negative impact on battery life is the main reason why Apple didn't permit background apps in the first place.

The phone is not jailbroken. I've tried reproducing the behaviour the past week, with an app that lists processes running, but it did not occur again...

I have WiFi and Push on, but have had them on for almost a year and haven't seen this happen yet. Besides the battery running low, the phone is also warm when it happens (warm like when I've played a game on it for a bit), but nothing is running in the foreground.

I still think it's the remainder of some program that somehow couldn't be quit by the OS. However, I still have no clue what it might be.

Thanks for the help, sorry for bothering you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijk182 View Post
I still think it's the remainder of some program that somehow couldn't be quit by the OS. However, I still have no clue what it might be.
I had a similar experience last week. I think it was when I tried running the itunes app on the phone, and downloading some podcasts.

Rebooting the phone seemed to fix it. I have not tried to reproduce the problem.

- Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijk182 View Post
I have WiFi and Push on, but have had them on for almost a year and haven't seen this happen yet. Besides the battery running low, the phone is also warm when it happens (warm like when I've played a game on it for a bit), but nothing is running in the foreground.
The first time I took an iPhone to Macworld Expo (before we had third-party apps), it quickly drained its battery and got very warm while it was just sitting in my pocket.

After recharging, I experimented and discovered that the culprit was Wi-Fi: once I turned off Wi-Fi, the phone stayed cool and maintained a charge all day. My theory is that it was confused by all the Wi-Fi signals to choose from on the show floor (none of which I could actually use), and kept bouncing around trying to pick one.

Since then, I've generally left Wi-Fi off except for places/times where I know I can use it, and I've found my battery life to be much better.

I had a similar experience this weekend and tracked it down to the following: the outgoing mailserver of my provider was unreachable and my iPhone was continuously trying to deliver some new mails - over 3G. That ran down my battery to 20% in about three hours before I noticed it :(

Bart