The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Single Actions ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
Single actions are by default all next actions aren't they? At least in my head they are! If a task only has one specific step it's got to be a next action as it's an ONLY action!
Ken said in another thread that, in the release version, all actions in single action buckets will be next, and that they will have a distinct style so that you can distinguish them (if you wish) from next actions in multi-step projects.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...6&postcount=32

please elaborate by "clean them from the inbox" what do you mean? if I do that each one appears as it's own project

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebmo19 View Post
please elaborate by "clean them from the inbox" what do you mean? if I do that each one appears as it's own project
By "clean them from the inbox," Curt (I think it was Curt) meant use the Clean Up command (Edit > Clean Up). That will move actions out of the inbox and into a project if you have entered a project for it, and into your default single action container if you haven't.

You're correct that if you drag an action out of the inbox and into the sidebar, without dropping it onto an existing project, you will create a new project. That's not what clean up means in OmniFocus, though it can be hard to tell without a manual.

It's been a little while, but in my reading of Getting Things Done projects were treated almost as an afterthought. The emphasis was in filing away individual tasks in the daily tickler folders (the "43 folders"). These tasks could be next actions from projects, but he didn't put an excessive emphasis on projectizing everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty Crunch View Post
It's been a little while, but in my reading of Getting Things Done projects were treated almost as an afterthought. The emphasis was in filing away individual tasks in the daily tickler folders (the "43 folders"). These tasks could be next actions from projects, but he didn't put an excessive emphasis on projectizing everything.
That's not quite right. A project, in GTD terms, is an open loop that cannot be done in one physical action. "Throw away the brown apple core" is an action, but "Clean up the kitchen" is a project. A list of projects, reviewed regularly, is an essential part of GTD. That's what makes the back-of-the-envelope project planning work: to get things done all you need to do is identify the next single action that will move your open loops toward closure.

The 43 tickler folders are actually a relatively minor aspect of GTD: they're a way of deferring action on an item by sending a message to "future you." But there are other ways of doing that. I seem to recall that Allen, in <i>Getting Things Done</i>, says that some of his clients don't actually use the 43 folders, though he finds them useful.