The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Customizing "Next/Previous"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know on many pages, hitting "enter" selects the "next page" link, which is sweet.

How does that trick work, exactly? It works on many pages (e.g. Google) but not on many others (e.g. defamer.com, where is chooses the first "continued" link). What is OW looking for?

Better yet, is there anywhere is the app, even by manually editing the plist, to add synonyms for "next" (e.g. "siguente", or "next photo")?

Do you have some example links? Sounds like either javascript or forms.

From what I can tell, it looks for a link with next in the name. If it doesn't find one, it won't work. Not all sites have a next link when they have multiple pages and instead use e.g. arrows. Those sites don't advance when you hit the enter button. At other forums, rather than having Next for the next page in a thread, they will have Next Thread (like here!) which means it will advance a thread rather than a page when you hit enter. MacNN forums are annoying like that.

How about the Gawker Media sites, like www.defamer.com?

Hit enter on the home page, and you see the "detail" page for the first article with a "continued" link, not the next page.

For me it activates the Next Post link at the top right of the home page and, for the subsequent "Post" pages, the Next link in the same location...

This feature doesn' seem to work at all, here (only tried this forum and Google). Just a guess why: I use the international version, German locales. So OW will probably look for "nächste"—and Google uses "vorwärts" as link title in it's German version. I view just as many English sites as German ones, so this feature isn't of so much use to me.

Couldn't OW look for any localized version of "next"? Or even better, have customizable search words?

If you look inside the application (Show Package Contents from Finder) in Contents/Resources/English.lproj (or de.lproj for German) you will find an entry like:
Code:
/* next page search strings - separated by commas */
"next" = "next";
You can change the second entry to contain whatever strings you would like separated by commas.

Ah, great! :-)

Would it be possible to do this in the .plist file? So I wouldn't have to update my installation with every new version?