The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About to take the plunge - will I get upgrd pricing w/ 2.0 when it arrives? Even in App-Store? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm getting ready to buy OmniFocus (on Mac & iPhone & iPad) and just prefer the workflow of buying from the Mac AppStore.

I see a lot of posts about the 2.0 roadmap for OmniFocus, so my question is: assuming there is a promo upgrade price for 2.0, can I expect to be able to qualify if on an App-store purchased license?

Thx!

Last edited by jules; 2012-03-21 at 12:23 PM..

I just read over this thread here which says if Apple hasn't introduced a whole separate version-upgrade method, that I would have the option to buy the upgrade from the Omni store. So it seems it's up to Apple as to whether I can stay within their App Store and still get upgrade pricing, so far it's not the case. New version, new full-price.
Also later in that thread it says buying the MAS version could have some untended side-effects such as not being able to run all the scripts posted on these forums because the "bundle identifier" is different in the MAS version. Hmm...

Update: Scripting workaround here for MAS-purchased OF.

I'm going to have to think about this and see. Since I have to buy the iOS versions on iOS App Store, I wanted to just make it all a clean purchase and use Mac App Store. But it sounds like the better path is to just buy the Mac version direct?

Last edited by jules; 2012-03-21 at 01:33 PM..

Always buy from Omni rather than from Apple, who take a 30% cut on App Store sales.

Can Apple actually use that money ? It's not clear that they can. They now have a market capitalisation of over $500bn, currently the biggest in the world, larger even than Exxon Mobil, and they are paying dividends out to shareholders, which suggests rather limited scope for productively putting any further money back into the business.

Can Omni use that money productively ? Certainly. Plenty of scope for speeding up product development cycles, and for increasing the proportion of bugs that can be fixed ...

Thanks RobTrew, much appreciated. That's the route I took for that very reason, plus I didn't want to have to enact your workarounds for running scripts in the App Store version.
I agree with you, Apple could afford to take a little less and let the Software Devs have a little more to spend on product QC and bug squashing.

I absolutely love the convenience of the App Store, though, so it's unfortunate software publishers take a hit. For most smaller publishers I'll probably still hit the App Store if they offer their app there, but not this one -- it's too important for me to establish a handy workflow in this app as I start out using it so I don't want to short-change them!

In other news, I'm LOVING OmniFocus & the OmniSync server!!! I'm on Mac, iPhone, and iPad and syncing and this thing is going to save my life. Literally. Been drowning in projects. Glad I bought this, from what I can see so far it's going to be worth every penny!

Last edited by jules; 2012-03-26 at 11:14 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules View Post
Apple could afford to take a little less and let the Software Devs have a little more to spend on product QC and bug squashing.
While I certainly agree with increased attention to product QC and bug squashing, I'm not sure Apple is taking an unreasonable cut here. Ken mentioned somewhere when the Mac App Store first came out that a 30% cut was very attractive compared to the haircut involved in selling a boxed software product. I do agree with Rob that there are areas where Omni could invest the money and get a good ROI, though.

For a product like OmniFocus for Mac, with a good built-in software updater, I just don't see the attraction of using the Mac App Store. Not any particular advantage to buying the app there just because you bought the corresponding iOS apps, either.

I guess it's in the value of the distribution/app-discovery channel that Apple places the value, and I'm sure App Store both on Mac & IOS take a significant administrative effort for Apple to curate & run effectively, so I can you your point and Ken's about it being better than boxed software especially from a shipping/distribution standpoint.
For me, once I started peeling the onion and seeing that "oh Mac App Store version has different steps to run scripts published" that kind of turned me off on the App Store version anyway -- not that RobTrew's posted workarounds aren't difficult but I'm an avid scripter where a script makes sense. So far I'm loving this app, so glad I discovered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules View Post
I guess it's in the value of the distribution/app-discovery channel that Apple places the value, and I'm sure App Store both on Mac & IOS take a significant administrative effort for Apple to curate & run effectively, so I can you your point and Ken's about it being better than boxed software especially from a shipping/distribution standpoint.
For me, once I started peeling the onion and seeing that "oh Mac App Store version has different steps to run scripts published" that kind of turned me off on the App Store version anyway -- not that RobTrew's posted workarounds aren't difficult but I'm an avid scripter where a script makes sense. So far I'm loving this app, so glad I discovered it.
Note that standard retail markup is 100% so that's a 50% cut, just for reference. I don't know what all the electronic retailers take if you go through one of them. And it depends if you want to set up your own payment infrastructure and manage it, there's a real time investment ongoing that may not be trivial to support. There are some issues with App Store distribution (no well defined update pricing model, and looming sandbox restrictions), but I don't think Apple's cut is that high in the list of issues.