The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iTunes syncing best practices Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Greetings -

I've been a very happy OmniSyncServer user in my personal life, but now that I'm also using OmniFocus at work, I'm forbidden from syncing data outside the firewall. So, I believe I'll either need to configure an internal WebDav server, or figure out the best practices related to iTunes syncing. Since I have full control of the latter, is anyone using iTunes syncing to actually merge databases, or do you have to be very careful not to use both OF-Mac and OF-iPhone simultaneously?

Thanks!

iTunes syncing is really just for backing up a copy of your iPhone database. I can imagine a system where you could possibly use it to keep your data current on both Mac and iPhone, but it would require some scripting and yes, you'd need to be very careful to only use one of the two between syncs. I really don't recommend this.

An internal WebDAV server will be much easier (once it's set up) and much more robust. I think there may even be a couple guides on setting one up kicking around on these forums, depending on what servers you have available. This is probably the best solution, if you or your IT department is comfortable setting up such a server. (There may already be a WebDAV server on your network.)

Your third option would be Bonjour sync. In this setup, your Mac becomes the sync server for your iPhone. As long as you can get your iPhone on the same network as your Mac, this is probably the easiest to set up. And no data needs to go outside the firewall. Bonjour sync is available in OmniFocus sync preferences.

Last edited by Lizard; 2012-12-20 at 08:43 AM..

Bummer - I'll look into WebDAV server with fixed IP. Not sure I can pull it off.