The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Time Visualization and Calendar Preference Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbell View Post
This is my most-wanted feature at the moment, and I'm wanting it badly!
Agreed. I understand that keeping your "hard deadline" timetable (iCal) and your GTD workflow separate is useful (and essential in most cases), but I spend so much time in OF that it seems almost wasteful having to add hard deadlines to iCal when they can just be "assigned" in OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbell View Post
Basically, what I'm looking for is a way to synchronize the actions in my "Things Due" project (which amalgamates all "hard-due-date" actions from different contexts, like Classes, Networking, Law Review, etc.) with my iCal calendar (labeled "Deadlines") as events. For example, my upcoming Con Law paper would sync with iCal as an event starting and ending at 9:40 AM on April 15, and it would show up on my red-colored "Deadlines" calendar. The Con Law paper is found under my "Things Due" project in OF, but it's just one of many actions within my "Law School" context that may or may not have hard deadlines (thus, no use to sync the entire Law School context).

See what I'm getting at?
OF is designed to pick out these actions that have hard due dates out of contexts that are mixed between having due dates and not having due dates. Why not set up a perspective to order or group by due date in context view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cez1 View Post
Agreed. I understand that keeping your "hard deadline" timetable (iCal) and your GTD workflow separate is useful (and essential in most cases), but I spend so much time in OF that it seems almost wasteful having to add hard deadlines to iCal when they can just be "assigned" in OF.
The "hard landscape" items which are best kept in a calendar are things which you know that you will be doing at a certain time, not by a certain time. That means that appointments, meetings, performances, parties, and so forth should go in the calendar (and probably not also in OF).

Actions that need to be completed by a certain time, but which do not dictate a particular time at which you must work on them, can be placed in OF. These are not considered to be "hard landscape" items, and do not need to be in a calendar, unless you need a calendar to visualise due dates. If you choose to put them in a calendar, it would be a conceptually different calendar from those which contain true "hard landscape" items. If you keep these out of the calendar, you could use OF's view bar to group and/or sort by Due in order to get a sense for approaching (or past!) deadlines.

Still, there is something to be said for having a mechanism whereby you could view hard landscape and other tasks you would like to get done on that day in one application.

It is the reason that every calendar also has a tasks feature.

It is such a common tool that sometimes it can be hard to work without it.

I know that GTD breaks away from some of these practices, and for good reason.

But there can still be power in displaying the hard landscape and additional tasks in one, easy, quick tool.

Just throwing in my vote for this. Have also emailed support.

sorry Brian,

I wasn't able to find "...the workflow that Yucca advocates in his post..." could you address me there?

thanks

Alessandro

It's the May 4 2008 post by Yucca earlier in this thread, I believe.

thanks
but it doesn't seem to be a workfow... thanks anyway!

Me too! Please, please do something like this.

please count me in