The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

It is still aggravating to work with styles! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm "fairly" comfortable with styles in OmniOutliner, nevertheless I am frequently flummoxed, whereas, by now, I'd think I should have a comfortable flow throughout the application.

So I'll mention two beguiling aspects of styling in OmniOutliner:
  1. I'm often unclear about when the Style inspector is going to add an additional style to just the selected rows or columns, and when it is updating a row level or column level style (i.e. making a global style change). Seems like the only way to set styles is when a level is selected in the utilities sidebar. And this leads to the next issue.

2. I know how to select a row and column levels but—from my perspective—doing so is a mine sweep. I have to click the levels in the utilities sidebar and observe what gets selected in the outline. Seems backwards.

I think it would be far intuitive to have a mechanism that does the reverse. Click a level in the document; have a means for identifying this.

And I agree with the user who recommends the Pages approach. It is fairly elegant.

Also limiting in Outliner:
  • styles are ALWAYS associated with (a property of?) a level. Why not have styles be styles, which could be applied to any level?
  • And where oh where is the import/export styles?

Overall it's hard for me to imagine a simpler outliner. Keep up the good work. I use OO everyday!

qomni