The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iCloud? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Lion doesn't officially support document syncing yet. I think that may be opened to third party developers soon, but I'm not positive. Good Reader is known to cut corners, use private APIs, etc. I wouldn't bet on the synced folder in Application Support staying around forever if Apple changes the implementation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S. View Post
Lion doesn't officially support document syncing yet. I think that may be opened to third party developers soon, but I'm not positive. Good Reader is known to cut corners, use private APIs, etc. I wouldn't bet on the synced folder in Application Support staying around forever if Apple changes the implementation.
?

So you're saying that apps that sync via iClouid (i.e. iA Writer) are doing this via unofficial means? I sorta doubt they would be approved on the Mac App Store if that were the case.

As for iOS Apps that use iCloud... there are many (including Apple's iWork apps). It's pretty obvious via digging where this data is synched down to the Mac.

Though apps don't need to care about the actual location of the folder... Apple's iCloud APIs should abstract that completely from the developer (and the user, a bit to my chagrin as I'd prefer to be able to manage my documents a la Dropbox in a "supported" fashion).

On 10/14/11, Brian said,
Quote:
We're working on adding iCloud support to all our document-based apps (Outliner, Graffle, GraphSketcher, and Plan) but the specific details aren't fully fleshed out. Once we know more, we'll definitely let folks know about it...
Any update?

Yeah, the plan was scrapped, and they are building a WebDAV-based solution. http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...2&postcount=25

Is this still the stance? Use the OG WebDAV with no iCloud support coming anytime soon?

Yes. In addition to the technical issues that Ken mentions in the post that Bill linked to, Apple is restricting iCloud access to copies of our apps sold through their storefronts.

This would leave our existing direct-sales customers out in the cold. We want a sync solution that works for all our customers.

Closing this thread in order to keep from splitting the information about this topic. Please feel free to continue the discussion in the other thread.