The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Opening app opens new outline Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Much of the time I just want to open an app & use the "Recent Documents" menu to select an existing file.

This is often *much* more efficient than navigating a Finder folder tree that may be 5 or 10 levels deep, to find the document in question.

Having a blank "new document" FORCED on one every time I merely command-tab into an already-running app is bad news.

Omni Apps are (evidently) written for smart, power-user types -- treat us that way by at least giving us the *choice* to disable this annoying behavior.

Thanks.

Last edited by gosmond; 2013-05-14 at 10:45 PM..

This paternalistic, choice-constricting "feature" continues to be a pain in the neck.

Surely OmniGroup could opt to restore the Preference checkbox to disable it, probably in a matter of just a few minutes.

Please FIX this problem in the next maintenance release of OO3.

LaunchBar

command-space, a few letters from the file I want to open, return = app launches with just that file visible

not sure of the filenmame?

command-space, oo, right-arrow-key (to get list of OO files), down-arrow-key (to select desired file), enter

Always faster than opening the app, then opening the file.

No.

Sometimes I don't *know* the name of the file off hand, but I know it's in the list of Recently Opened Files in OmniOutliner (or any other app.)

I want to switch to or open the app first, then pick the file from the Recently Opened... list. I don't want to waste keystrokes to close a new, blank document every time I want to open a Recently Opened file.

I’m here to add another vote for it being an active user preference to open a new document when the application is launched. Apple’s new paradigm is a pain in the neck and the thought that other much-loved apps are being dragged along the same nannying path is quite depressing.

Most of the time I want oo to start with the last-opened file so I can continue working where I left off. Or I want to chose on of my templates to begin a new project. I don't want to open with the default template or open with nothing.

Thanks PJB for mentioning the Launch Bar shortcut. It's by far the fastest way to invoke the file I want.