The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do unwanted styles appear in your outline? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Why not use "Paste with Current Style" rather than paste. If that's what you want to do all the time in OO, go to System Preferences : Keyboard : Keyboard Shortcuts : Application Shortcuts, press the + to set up a shortcut for OO(Pro) and then set Cmd-P to "Paste with Current Style" and Opt-Shift-Cmd-P to "Paste", i.e. reverse the key combinations. Do that, and whatever you paste in whenever will have the style for the row set in your template.

Here's why that doesn't work for me.

I have one main OO document that I keep open at all times. In it are about dozen different sections, each representing a different project. I've set the document up from a template that uses Arial 12 as its default font. But for one of the sections, I want to use Arial 14. So I highlighted every line of that section, went into the Inspector, and selected Arial 14. So far, so good.

If I create a new Item, it stays Arial 14. But if I PASTE some text into this section using "Paste With Current Style", it pastes it in Arial 12. What I want is for Paste to behave the same as creating a new line., i.e., not changing the format from the lines around it.

Any way to do that (other than creating a new document for that one outline)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
Here's why that doesn't work for me.

I have one main OO document that I keep open at all times. In it are about dozen different sections, each representing a different project. I've set the document up from a template that uses Arial 12 as its default font. But for one of the sections, I want to use Arial 14. So I highlighted every line of that section, went into the Inspector, and selected Arial 14. So far, so good.

If I create a new Item, it stays Arial 14. But if I PASTE some text into this section using "Paste With Current Style", it pastes it in Arial 12. What I want is for Paste to behave the same as creating a new line., i.e., not changing the format from the lines around it.

Any way to do that (other than creating a new document for that one outline)?
But it works perfectly well for me — except that I've discovered that OOPro doesn't respond to keyboard shortcut changes like that, unlike other apps, Nisus, Scrivener ... though they use the Apple Text Editor — to check I created an outline where: level 1 rows are 14 point Times; level 2 rows are 12 point times; level 3 rows are 10 point times. With only a level 1 row in the outline, I pasted in some text in Optima 13 in the original, with "Paste with Current Style" it went in as Times 14; I then created a new row, moved it down to level 2 and pasted the text in ... Times 12; then a third row, moved down to level 3 ... Times 10; another row, moved up to level 2 ... Times 12; another row moved to level 1 ... Times 14.

Oh, hang on ... I see ... hmm ... you're not actually setting a level to a style, just some individual lines. I don' t know how you're going to solve that one ...

I don't have time to experiment, but have you tried using a custom style for that section ... Do custom styles replicate themselves automatically on new rows? I've never used them so don't know the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese View Post
...have you tried using a custom style for that section ... Do custom styles replicate themselves automatically on new rows? ....
I do use a custom style for that section, and it appears that it will retain the custom style if I create a new item or line by hitting Enter, but it will not retain the custom style if I Paste with Current Style. Instead, it adopts the Current Style as defined by the template, not by the section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
But for one of the sections, I want to use Arial 14. So I highlighted every line of that section, went into the Inspector, and selected Arial 14.
Assuming your sections are all divided by a row level, what you could do is set styles for all descendants of that row. To do this, you need to use the style view (View -> Show Styles View). With that on you'll see a lot of chit boxes on the right side of the window. Hovering over a box will tell you what it represents. Basically, the left-most box is the style of that corresponding row and each box to the right is for its children/grand-children/etc. You can use those to set a 14 font size for just the rows in that section.

If you have a lot of row levels in that section, this can be a little tedious and is actually where automatic level styles is handy. If you turn that feature on, and then just selected all the existing rows in the section and applied the font size, it would then set that font size to the corresponding styles that you would be manually setting using the previous instructions. The one problem with this is that the font size could get promoted to the row level if say only lvl 8 and higher row levels existed under that section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumtingwong View Post
I have read these threads and have implemented the cut-and-paste keystroke combination, but none of the other suggested fixes work.
Are you looking for ways to fix your existing files? Or what suggested fixes are you referring to?

Aha! I believe that does it. Thank you so much.

The auto style levels is counterintuitive as it stands. And alas the styles feature is very poorly documented in manual and tutorials. Through way too much trial and error and wasted time, I now see that IF you set up your own styles and apply them, they have the effect of stabilizing the style of columns, and column style retaining precedence over row style. BUT the hierarchy is not under user control. And otherwise, pasting chits here and there does not work.

Still - No matter how I drag/drop or cut/paste I haven't been able to get it to auto format the pasted material to conform stylewise to the field I drop it into ... which means individually reformatting every field...

For OO4 - I like to be able to change styles as I work, eventually reverting back to the standard style I've set up. For example, I'm organizing a research project with a lot of interviews and contacts and web-research. (I keep my headings and main in the first column and use notes heavily. Then in subsequent columns I have Contact Name, email, URLs.) During the research the folks I have yet to talk to are in red. As I talk with them, I change them to green. The URLs and Emails are always maintained ready to click (underlined/color). As I research I do a lot of pasting in. I want that all to be formatted per the styles I've selected for the relevant row level or column.

What would be so helpful is a clear manipulable hierarchy of styles in the style window that can be moved up and down to take precedence, and each of which should be independently lockable. Also some simple way to
1) either "lock" in styles to any group of fields (ideally by being able to command-click to select any rows, columns, and cells) OR "apply" a particular style to any selection of items.
2) "revert to style hierarchy"
3) be able to deliberately override any style (as you can now)
4) make the style override anything being pasted

Am I missing some of these that are undocumented features?